• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unsupported Video Driver Nvidia GeForce MX150

Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working on a project all day and I have never seen this error before now... It happened suddenly. This is a Premiere Pro installation I have been using without issues for weeks. I haven't updated or changed anything. I simply closed Premiere and opened it again, and suddenly it says my video card driver is not supported. What the heck??

I followed the solutions offered for my video card, and it turns out my driver is the latest and only driver offered by Nvidia. I don't even have the option to download and install drivers manually.... So no solution. And the problem came out of nowhere without reason or explanation. Had I updated software or drivers I might understand. Check update history doesn't suggest an update occurred behind the scenes either.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
System Model HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-df0xxx
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 1992 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Name NVIDIA GeForce MX150
Driver Version 27.21.14.5167

Premiere Pro 14.3.1 (Build 45)

What is giong on? How to fix?

TOPICS
Error or problem , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't make sense because this laptop is less than a year old. It was HP's flagship machine for 2019.

And, like I said, there was no error message before. It just appeared today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, 451.67 is now too old to be supported in Premiere Pro 14.3.2. It now requires driver version 451.77 or newer.

Secondly, 451.67 is no longer the newest driver available for that MX150. 452.06 now is.

Therefore, you will need to update your driver to the Game Ready 452.06 driver version in order to run Premiere Pro 14.3.2.

Go to the Nvidia Web site directly, then under "Drivers, select "GeForce Drivers." Search for "GeForce MX150" in the "Drivers" section of the GeForce Web site, and there you will find Game Ready Driver 452.06.

Keep in mind that although you will have MPE CUDA GPU acceleration with that MX150, you will not have hardware NVENC encoding at all whatsoever (because the chip that the MX150 is based on, the GP108, does not have a built-in hardware NVENC encoder at all), and that you will be permanently locked to software-only encoding because QuickSync cannot be used simultaneously with a discrete GPU for encoding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird. Okay....

What did you mean here when you said to avoid drivers higher than 442.92?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was when 451.48 was the newest driver version that was available. You see, 451.48 caused severe corruption in Lumetri Color in Premiere Pro. Version 451.77 (the Studio Drivers that are not compatible at all with any GPU that has less than a 128-bit memory bus) was the one that fixed that particular issue. Unfortunately, there are no Game Ready driver versions in between 451.67 and 452.06. And that is the basis for me recommending 452.06 right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Keep in mind that although you will have MPE CUDA GPU acceleration with that MX150, you will not have hardware NVENC encoding at all whatsoever (because the chip that the MX150 is based on, the GP108, does not have a built-in hardware NVENC encoder at all), and that you will be permanently locked to software-only encoding because QuickSync cannot be used simultaneously with a discrete GPU for encoding."

How limiting is this? I bought this laptop for photo and video editing exclusively. What has gone wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What has gone wrong is simple. Pro-level software requires a much more robust hardware configuration that what your laptop offers just to run properly. For example, the CPU needs to sustain at least 3.8 GHz on all cores in order to run Premiere Pro properly. No low-power laptop CPU can even come close to reaching that high of a clock speed on even two cores, let alone all four cores.

And the GPU is towards the very bottom of the discrete GPU totem pole these days. Newer versions of Premiere Pro really need more than 1,024 CUDA cores in order for GPU acceleration to work properly. Your GPU has only 384 CUDA cores - not enough to produce a meaningful improvement over on-CPU integrated graphics to justify spending the additional cost of a discrete GPU. And no MX GPU has hardware encoding capability whatsoever. You will need a GTX or an RTX GPU in order to do hardware encoding.

Simply put, you will need a higher-end (and more expensive) GPU than that MX150 just to have hardware encoding at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks for the technical response.

I am still confused about why I was able to use Premiere for weeks and weeks and encode all those 4k videos in H.265 with high bitrate without any problems or error messages before now. What happened in the middle of no changes to warrant big red warnings NOW? Why did it wait weeks and projects deep to warn me of unsupported hardware issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Unsupported driver issue" did not actually come with the update to Premiere Pro per se, bit it actually came with the lastest update to the Creative Cloud desktop app. All versions of Premiere Pro are now affected by this.

During field testing, Adobe discovered major issues with your currently installed driver version (as well as all other older driver versions) with several of the other Creative Cloud programs, which triggered this warning. Rather than individually flagging the compatibility issue by program, Adobe issued this compatibility warning globally across all Creative Cloud apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry but I am having this exact issue now. I have Nvidia GeForce MX150 451.67 and now Premiere Pro tells me it is unsupported. You explain above that I can update to the latest Game Ready Driver but that doing so will mean I can't do hardware encoding. I've no idea what this means. I just use Premiere Pro for editing videos and bought this laptop because I thought it would do the trick and indeed had been doing it well for over a year now. I don't do anything fancy. Mostly just basic editing.

It seems I have three choices:

-Update to the Game Ready Driver

-Leave it as it is - Premiere still seems to open once you get past the warning although I have't used it to edit as such yet.

-Would it be possible to revert to an older version of Premiere that was compatible with my graphics card? I'm on the Creative Cloud through work so it seems to update automatically. I don't need fnacy new versions. The old one was fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, regardless of the driver version or Premiere Pro version, the MX150 cannot perform any hardware encoding at all whatsoever. This is because it uses the GP108 chip that completely lacks a hardware encoder - period. The GP108 was the very last budget discrete GPU from Nvidia that was designed from the ground up for strictly entry-level use that did not involve much if any video editing or processing whatsoever. After the GP108, Nvidia is now leaving this market strictly for on-CPU integrated graphics processors from the CPU manufacturers.

And all this is because Nvidia, like all other companies that offer discrete graphics chips, has continued to shaft every single one of the low-end and entry-level users, by either reusing old-generation chips that are soon to become obsolete, or reusing cut-down versions of previous-generation chips. A good example is the latest MX-series GPU, the GeForce MX450, which is based on a cut-down version of the Turing-generation TU117 GPU which had been previously used on the GeForce GTX 1650, with half of its ROPs disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

So, as dispiriting as that is, in my case, I can simply update to the Game Ready Driver and resume using Premiere Pro to the same degree I previously used it, given that I obviously never did hardware encoding since I would have always been unable to use it? Is that roughly correct?

It always worked fine for me notwithstanding your points above about the limitations of the MX150.

Would reverting to a previous version of Premiere be a better or worse alternative?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can try rolling back to version 14.1 or earlier, which was the last version of Premiere Pro that was released before Adobe added NVENC hardware encoding support. Those older versions supported only Intel QuickSync for hardware encoding.

In addition, you will need to roll back your Intel iGPU driver to version 27.20.100.8476 or earlier since all newer versions of the Intel graphics driver completely broke QuickSync support when used in conjunction with any discrete GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines