• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgrading Support

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello out there! I am working with a iMac 2.7Ghz Intel Core i5 with 20GB and a graphics card of AMD Radeon HD 6770M. I am trying to use plug-ins and prevent from continuosly having multiple crashes a day. Could anyone inform me on what I need to do in order to use specific effects and plug-ins? I get the error code GPU excelleration needed. Not sure what excelleration to use and if it is compatable with what I have. Thanks for reading and happy creating!

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Hardware or GPU , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GPU excelleration needed.

Most likely you have added a VR effect to a non VR Clip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ann for replying. My computer seems to not be capable of using VR
effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much VRAM does that HD 6770m have? If only 512 MB, then you do not have hardware GPU acceleration at all. Premiere Pro now requires 2 GB or more VRAM (4 GB or more recommended) to even enable GPU acceleration at all. Even older versions of Premiere Pro cannot run with GPU acceleration at all with only 512 MB of VRAM. You are permanently stuck with software-only rendering with that particular iMac. Thus, any effects that require GPU acceleration cannot be used at all with your iMac.

Sorry.

And worse, no part can be upgraded at all by the user. Thus, the only fix at this point is an entirely new machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey RJL,
My VRAM is only 512 sadly. Yeah, I have been holding onto this computer to
make use of it as much as I could. She was good to me. Thanks for your
help! Much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you sure you have 20 gigs of RAM?  You don't say what year your imac was produced but I can't remember ever seeing a machine with 20 gigs of RAM. generally I've seen 8, 16, 32, 48 etc...  Not that it probably has much impact on your question...  just my OCD kicking in.  But if you've installed RAM after buying the machine, that could be the source of your issues.  A few years ago, I attempted to update the RAM on my 2009 macpro and on the advice of otherworldcomputing bought ram modules that were a different size from my original ram and tried to have both installed.  I spent a day with their support trying to get it to work and I was able to get it to work by swapping the position of all the ram trying every single possible configuration but eventually crashes just became to frequent and I replaced all the ram with the newer chip size.  problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On some systems, 20 GB of RAM is possible. Here's how:

The most likely explanation, in the case of that iMac, is that it has 4 GB of DDR3 RAM soldered onto its motherboard. There are two SO-DIMM slots in that system, each containing an 8 GB DIMM. Those 16 GB simply gets added onto the already onboard 4 GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ya learn something everyday.  Do you know which Imacs have this potential?  thanks RjL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RJL, thanks for replying to my post. You're absolutely right. I had a
friend go into the imac and add memory to the available slots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the 27-inch iMacs have four RAM slots.

No RAM is soldered onto the motherboard in any of those.

An older model might accept 2GB chips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Warren. It's just that I never had an iMac or any other Mac.

Some laptop PCs were/are like that. Which is what I had incorrectly assumed that the mid-2011 iMac had.

So, the mid-2011 iMac came with two 2 GB DDR3 DIMMs pre-installed. Whomever upgraded that to 20 GB simply had 16 GB added onto the existing 4 GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Mgrenadier,
Yeah, a friend of mine installed 2G each into the 2 free slots available,
with already having 18G in the other 2 slots; equaling the 20G. I'm pushing
a 2011 iMac on El Capitan. Seems like the overall verdict is that i am in
need of a new computer because I do not have enough VRAM. Thanks for your
response! Appreciate you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines