Highlighted

Using alt key modifier on Win10 causes OS sound

Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the 2017.0.2 Premiere release on Windows 10. A small but annoying issue. My favourite way to nudge clips in Premiere is with the alt key+ < or >. But every nudge using this shortcut as of a version or two ago of Premiere causes Windows to ring out with a system sound (the one called 'Asterisk'). To me it seems like although Premiere reads the shortcut as valid and performs the nudge, Windows is somehow reading the use of the alt key as an incorrect operation. I have another editor friend on Windows 10 who indicated he has the same issue with the alt key, and that setting the work area bar with alt+ [ or ] causes the same sound. I'm hoping someone has an idea of how to stop this annoying problem.

Thanks for any help!

Found a solution! Basically just turn off the Default Beep in Windows.

Here's what to do:

• R-Click on the Speaker icon in the task bar and choose Sounds
  • In the Program Events section select Default Beep and change it's sound to None

Check here for more instructions if you need them: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-system-beep-windows-7-8

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Using alt key modifier on Win10 causes OS sound

Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the 2017.0.2 Premiere release on Windows 10. A small but annoying issue. My favourite way to nudge clips in Premiere is with the alt key+ < or >. But every nudge using this shortcut as of a version or two ago of Premiere causes Windows to ring out with a system sound (the one called 'Asterisk'). To me it seems like although Premiere reads the shortcut as valid and performs the nudge, Windows is somehow reading the use of the alt key as an incorrect operation. I have another editor friend on Windows 10 who indicated he has the same issue with the alt key, and that setting the work area bar with alt+ [ or ] causes the same sound. I'm hoping someone has an idea of how to stop this annoying problem.

Thanks for any help!

Here's what to do:

• In the Program Events section select Default Beep and change it's sound to None

Check here for more instructions if you need them: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-system-beep-windows-7-8

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  I just ignore it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same on Windows 8.1 and Premiere Pro CC 2017 and newer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it's really terrible to only have Ctrl on the right side of the keyboard as a modifier. Especially since I'm coming from a Mac where I had Command, Alt, and Ctrl.

Add a bug report: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

We need this to be fixed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone had a solution to this? Just upgraded to windows 10 and it started happening. It's absolutely maddening.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what to do:

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's weird that you have to disable the beep in the entire operating system but honestly it annoyed me anyway. This worked and I can now edit with much less beeping, thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, this is still annoyed experience when using Pr, it's even very challenging to assign shortcut with Alt key. I see that Adobe could do something more to stop that annoyed sound. I didn't experience that beep sound in After Effect.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines