Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Display Color Management doesn't work - Wide Gamut Laptop

Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey friends,

when i turn on display color management my blacks get crushed, and my midtones almost look normal but with some banding.

I'm using a Dell XPS 9700 Wide Gamut laptop

running windows 10

I've made my own calibration and profile in displaycal. I have a 3d lut i run to the timeline to convert the footage to bt1886

Tried dynamic linking to work solely in srgb while in AE then export that in premeire, but premiere still seemed to conform the footage to 2,4 rec709. After coloring with the display lut, on final export i throw on more transform lut to compensate my footage for web SRGB gamma.

thank you in advance friends. 

I've noticed that with After effects that hitting display color management and switching between color spaces doesn't crush the blacks or cause banding. Does premiere do this because it is honestly supposed to input a 2,2 gamma? or does display color management in premeire only read Argb or P3, and not any other wide gamut (I think mine is 2048, tho I'm unsure. that's what MadVR said. Displaycal reads 91% of p3 coverage)?

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , Error or problem , Formats , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dynamic link doesn't work in wide gamut afaik it's still stuck in rec. 709 land. as for interpreting colors in premiere, some codecs are hard coded to specific colors. hopefully an Adobe Color Engineer chimes into because anything involving a complicated color workflow like this isn't going to have an update to date help file.

I'm not even sure they fixed the lumetri bug that using a lut disables wide gamut colors.

Last update i heard, premiere stores all data in a weird rec. 709 floating point that can hold wide gamut colors(don't ask me how) and then if you choose the right export supported file, it can retain P3 or rec. 2020 colors.

Its HDR monitor function is still in beta and needs a special IO card for displaying the wide gamut.

There is no soft-proofing feature yet, so you may have to buy a box if you want true HDR grading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've tried with h264, proresLT, and braw but they all still adjust oddly when using display color management. 

Super interesting bug lol! i wouldn't mind not getting to work in larger color gamuts as I mostly output for web. If i bring a file to rec709 with a manufacturer lut it appears oversaturated in premiere, but i thiiiiink outputted as rec709 2,4 on any export i do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Brybryo ,

Checking if you have enabled Display color management from the General tab in preferences?

Here's a read that might be helpful to you.

https://premierepro.net/color-management-premiere-pro/

Keep us posted on your progress please.

Best

mj

MSD Star Grey-01.pngMohammed Jogie | Morning Star Design | BA CUA |
Adobe ACA | ACE | ACI | ACP | CA | UGM |
MISTD | Ico-D | IxDA | PADI | C&G |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

yes i do enable display color management. enabling it and seeing weird results is my issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines