• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using pen tool to adjust audio track volume in Premiere is creating a curve automatically

Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, I hope you are having a good day!

While working on an edit yesterday, I noticed an issue with the Pen Tool fading out my audio tracks. To make quick fades in my timeline, I use the pen tool to click a clip and drag keyframes to the volume levels I'd like. Normally, this would create a linear change, but as you can see in the attached video, dragging keyframes now automatically creates a curve between them. The interpolation of the keyframes is still set to "linear," so I can't think of a reason why this might be happening.

For reference, I am using Premiere v14.6.0 on a Core i5 MacBook running MacOS Catalina.

And some photos as well,

-Here's what a fade with the pen tool normally looks like:

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 9.52.58 AM.png

-And here's what Premiere, for some reason, just started doing:

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 9.52.40 AM.png

If there is any solution to this or setting that needs to be fixed, I would really appreciate it! Thank you for your time!

-Jay

TOPICS
Audio , Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Confirmed bug.

WORKAROUND (thanks to Matt Stegner) : Save, Close and Reopen.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if the fade is still linear but the scaling of the graphic on the timeline is now some sort of log.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the input! After some tests, any fade I make right now doesn't seem to be linear, despite saying it is. That's what's confusing me.

Also, as for the photos I provided, the two clips shown are different audio files. The top one was an audio file I edited before the problem started occuring, and the bottom one was an audio file I edited today. That's why the waveforms look different. I'm not sure if that was what you were asking about, but I'm sorry if there was any confusion there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. If I close and open the project, the fade is shown linear. Is it the same for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I've closed and reopened several times and even deleted/reinstalled Premiere. None of that has fixed the problem. I'm confused as to whether a setting got changed without my realizing or if this could be a program bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Likely a bug, because when I add new linear keyframes with the pen tool, the animation curve is bezier-ish. When I close and re-open the project, the animation curve displays as straight-line linear.

EDIT: When I add new keyframes after close/open, the animation curve continues to display as linear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked it is only display error on screen. Bezier and linear fade (after reopening) give the same volume, this can be checked in Audition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed bug.

WORKAROUND (thanks to Matt Stegner) : Save, Close and Reopen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works, thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeh, looks like a bug. It's happened to me a few times. Adjusting the bezier curve even slightly makes it snap dramatically to +/- infinity. Adobe, please fix.

In the meantime – your suggestion worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines