Using Productions Panel and opening multiple projects

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anyone here with experience using the Productions panel? I'm working on a series and Productions seems like a great way to access material from multiple projects and keep things organised. However the majority of the time I'm having issues opening multiple projects at the same time. The project starts to load, gets exactly 3/4 through the progress bar then stalls and only a force quit will get me out of premiere to start again. If I load the the project files from the desktop sometimes it makes a difference and will work, often not. I have 28gb of ram on a win 10  hp z820 and have tried googling and attempting various solutions offered but nothing so far. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

TOPICS
Crash, Error or problem, Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Anders,

That is too bad. Sorry to hear. I have a Production going right now. I see problems like that, but I have some errors in the Events panel that need correcting. Hope I can repair those. I have also moved around some media and did a bunch of relinking. Are you having similar issues? Check Event and report back. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to create your projects in a production from within that production, or add those project files to that production. You don't just open project files outside the production, and work with them in a production.

So ... either rebuild you production using subfolders in your Production folder instead of project files to organize the project. Create project files inside subfolders to hole small individual bits of the project. Like RED media files or sequences or whatever.

And add your stuff in.

Or ... create an organized folder/subfolder structure in your Production, and in the appropriate subfolders, add project files from outside the production. To get the benefits of a production, the speed and ease of opening and working in the production, you will still need to break those project files down distributing their assets to other projects in that production.

Yea, it takes a bit to initially setup. But the reward is a much faster, smoother, and stable workflow.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Neil

Yes, all the projects have been made and organised in Productions. I was only opening them at desktop level or outside the productions panel because I was just needing a way to make sure the project would actually open and not be corrupted. Most 2nd Projects opened , stall at the 3/4 point

I have tried slimming down the project so the file size is smaller and that seems to give them a better chance of opening together. I will try a few other things as well but it's a bit of a shame that it's not working for me right now as I really need it. I'm going to up my RAM and move to an SSD in the hope that this improves things.

I looked at the Events panel and it's not seeming to register anything when the projects are failing to open.

All other suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm not quite so able to problem solve on Premiere as I have been able to do on Avid.

Andy

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bit of a struggle to sort out the difference in operations between Productions and "normal" or stand-alone Premiere project workflows. I have had a couple guys that have worked with mulitple NLEs say it's actually, once they've mentally "re-wrapped" what they're doing, much closer to their organizational structure in Avid.

I've never worked in Avid, though I've sat through hours of demos in their booth at NAB.

The whole new workflow process is weird at first. It takes a bit to get to where it seems natural to think of your "Project" as the production, and subfolders and their project files as just bits and pieces of the whole. Once you've bridged that gap it's suddenly vastly easier to build out your future productions.

Anymore, I'm creating subfolders & project files within them, moving things, clearing things, reorganizing or whatnot, deleting project files ... their all just fancy "bins" in many ways. Some types of "bins" have different capabilities/properties than other types of "bins".

And one thing to bear in mind ... the smaller all those actual .prproj files are, the faster the whole thing works. A TON of small prproj files with very few things in them is FAR better than a few proproj files with a ton of assets each.

As anytime Pr 'reads' a prproj file, it has to load that entire file's meta contents to RAM/cache first. But ... if you are simply refencing an asset from another prproj file in the Productiion, then it only has to add in the meta for that specific file. Hence far less overhead for the operation of Premiere.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Neil

Yes, it seems that it's struggling with the ' larger ' pr project files. At the moment I have my ' main ' cut bin open and a music & sfx bin / project open and it's working as it should. However if I want to repeat some material from another cuts bin which has a couple of sequences in and is larger, that's when it's freexing and crashing me out. I'm hoping that more RAM and an SSD might solve this or I'll find a workaround organisationally with keeping smaller pr files ( though from my point of view this really shouldn't be necessary as its not unreasonable to ask an NLE to be capable of dealing with that size project file perfectly well ).

Appreciate the detailed replies and hopefully I can become better at sorting these issues out

cheers

andy

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you've got the assets split up into multiple prproj files, you should be able to simply add and work with assets from other prproj files in that production without slowing anything down.

It's the number of Master Clip references in a project file that I think is the killer as every one of those has meta that's loaded to Ram/cache files. So the idea is to keep any one prproj file from having bazillions of meta assets. That way, when the meta from the asset is in a "storage" project file but actually used in a sequences project file, it doesn't open the storage project file completely. It just references the specific assets used.

So you may have say Day 1 RED ... Day 2 RED  ... Day 1 F5 ... Day 2 F5 ... and on, as separate project files. All those projects do is serve as fancy bins that get the meta from the files loaded into their project file data.

Then you use those files in sequences in other project files ... and once you've got the assets into the sequence, you don't even need to have the other project file opened.

In a Production mode, Premiere still can access the meta from the closed project file, for only the assets it's using. That's where the speed benefit comes.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil, again this is really useful information.

Unfortunately I'm working on an animated series so some of the usual usuals don't necessarily come into play.

At the moment it's just a few ( larger ) project files that stall every time. I might want to load these to borrow sound fx, storyboards / material from another episode where I know
I've had it before and I can reuse. I'm also trying to have ' intermediary ' bins where regular reuse gets stored but with less other assets.

When you have a storyboard edit of 10 min timeline it's possible to have hundreds of tiny separate items that prem needs to have linking to so maybe that's a consideration.

Yes, I love the fact that you no longer have a cluttered project from opening up multiple projects and cutting in new material. This is great!

There's so many things about Productions I love but restarting and crashing out is not one of them. I'm holding onto the hope that RAM and SSD might fix this. If it doesn't it should help with other things also!

cheers
andy

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pleased to say that adding a lot more RAM and moving to a SSD drive(s) has now completely transformed the efficiency of the Productions panel which is now working in the way I need, which is great. Thanks for all the info and specifics on what strains it might be putting on the system. Now I can concentrate on the edit and let the improvements prevent me from crashing and needing to get back to where I started.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it's all working better now. That's really my main interest, past always learning ... is just getting things done as well as possible now.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines