• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using the jkl keys (shuttler left and right) are cause my playback window freeze.

New Here ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use the shuttle left or right to accelerate/ decelerate my playback a weird glitch occurs. After a few seconds of the footage running at x2/x4/x8 speed the video will only display the last frame of my footage, while the audio continues to play as it should. This happens consistently and has persisted through restarts of premiere pro and of my computer. I have tried clearing the cache and have changed the playback quality as well. Despite my efforts the shuttle left and right continue to cause this issue.

I would appreciate advice from anyone who has experienced this issue or has a solution to my problem.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your hardware specs, the computer CPU/RAM/GPU and the type of disc the media is on and the connection between that and the computer. Um ... are you on one disc, or using several on that machine?

What's the media involved? It looks screen-capture, is it variable frame rate (VFR)?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This likely due in part to the codec of your source footage. As it is a screen recording I'm guessing it is H.264 media, possible even variable frame rate (VFR) to boot.

For starters H.264 is not an efficient codec for editing. It is heavily compressed and this puts more work on your CPU to decode. Jumping around the clip at various speeds will continue to work the CPU and likely is causing the hangs. Also while VFR media is supported in Premiere, I wouldn't be surprised if it requires extra CPU work to decode at fast speeds, considering by default Premiere is attempting to keep the video and audio in sync as well.

So, a way to approach this would be to create a proxy file in ProRes, DNx, or Cineform codec with a constant frame rate. While this takes up more space, it requires less work on your CPU and is better optimized for editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This (and Niel's comment)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines