Using transparent clip as dividing line for a split screen effect

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on the free trial of Premiere pro 15 because vegas pro failed me at the last minute.

So far I didn't have many problems but then I tried to do this weird effect described in the title.

Basically I have a clip with a transparent background and a lightning effect in the middle. I would like to place a different clip at each side of the lightning but since it's always moving I get the clips transboarding.

I know I could manually mask both clips with the pen tool for each movement, but it'd take long, and I'd have to do this with more than one pair of clips.

I figured I might as well ask here before wasting that many hours, is there a faster way I'm unaware of? If needed I could have access to the 2020 version too, but only for a short time as it wouldn't be on my computer.

Thanks for the answers.

TOPICS
Editing, Effects and Titles, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Feb 16, 2021
Steve Griffiths Adobe Community Professional , Feb 16, 2021
I can't think of an 'easy' way to mask your clips to the lightning beyond manually masking as you suggest. A couple of things you could do to slightly speed up the process - overlap the two clips, if possible, so both clip edges extend to the width of the lightning effect - then you only have to mask the edge of the the top clip to the lightning. Maybe add some additional 'glow' to the lightning layer to help hide the edges by expanding the width of the lightning. Or add a soft edge (with a mask...

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't think of an 'easy' way to mask your clips to the lightning beyond manually masking as you suggest.

A couple of things you could do to slightly speed up the process - overlap the two clips, if possible, so both clip edges extend to the width of the lightning effect - then you only have to mask the edge of the the top clip to the lightning. Maybe add some additional 'glow' to the lightning layer to help hide the edges by expanding the width of the lightning. Or add a soft edge (with a mask) to each edge of the clips near the lightning, again to help hide the join between the clips. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Simon443 AUTHOR LATEST
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought so, it was still worth asking.

I will try to hide it with effects but I don't think I'll have the time to mask them properly before the deadline sadly.

Thanks for asnwering.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines