• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Variable framerate issues

Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a project that consists of many different video clips imported into a single sequence/timeline. I have the sequence settings set to ARRI Cinema 23.976 f/s - the vast majority of the clips I'm importing are the same framerate but some are higher (eg 30fps) - these end up being choppy in my project. Is there anything that can be done for these clips to make them smoother (aside from setting the whole sequence to 30fps).

Thanks

TOPICS
Editing , How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the footage is variable framerate convert to constant framerate with Handbrake before bringing into Premiere.

Are you sure you mean variable framerate and not using different framefrates on the timeline? Because they are two different things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I'm new to video editing and PPro, I meant I'm importing lots of different videos from many different sources (all into the same sequence/timeline) - the majority of the imported videos are 23.976 fps, but some of them are 30fps. So with my sequence set to 23.976fps (coz I just left it at default when creating the project) it means the 30fps imported clips are choppy.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sort of. The method described below may work for some simple cases, like slow panning. Result not ideal for sure, yet may look better than  frame skipping (see attached example). 30 to 24fps conversion, using optical flow:

Source 29.97 fps -> new seq from clip .. -> speed 25% (Optical Flow) => export clip1
import clip1 -> interpret as 119.88fps -> drop on sequence 23.976 fps => done

Comparison default vs optical flow: 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

interesting, thanks! btw is there any disadvantage to starting a new project/sequence with 30fps? 24 seems to be the default in PPro and that's what the majority of the clips I'll be importing will be in, so I guess next project I start I could set to 30fps even though most clips will be 24fps - does it end up giving a higher export size or are there any downsides.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

30>24 or 24>30 fps conversion will always compromise quality, one way or another. Avoid that if at all possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines