• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

VBR 2 HARDWARE ENCODING !!!???

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Complete malfunction for Adobe to not support VBR 2 hardware encoding with new Mac GPU's. I heard from support team that the NVidia cards work fine? The ARM cards are the issue and need a firware upgrade? Embarassing ...

And what is up with RED codec support on the Afterburner card? I shoot Arri Prores RAW alot but not all the time, I NEED RED codec support on this Afterburner card or it is useless. I'm DONE with transcode workflow. The machines are plenty fast now ...

I feel like its full on buracracy and pouting between vendors and not supporting the community that supports their business. Its embarrrasing to the pro community. Is Adobe Premiere turning into another Final Cut Pro X?!

FIX IT ADOBE!!!

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. It cannot be fixed at all by anybody or any company. No hardware encoder has ever supported 2-pass VBR at all whatsoever. Not even the newest encoders in second-gen AMD RDNA and the Nvidia Ampere architecture. And selecting 2-pass VBR will ALWAYS force software-only encoding no matter what. Previous versions of Premiere Pro would give an error message that hardware encoding is not supported at the chosen export settings. Some newer versions of Premiere Pro would allow you to proceed with "hardware encoding" at the 2-pass VBR settings, but will immediately and automatically switch to software encoding with absolutely no warning or indication whatsoever, and remain there for the remainder of the export job.

Not only that, but hardware encoders for PC have a strict video bitrate limit of around 50 Mbps. If one exceeds that bitrate for the export, then the hardware encoder will default to a much lower, fail-safe bitrate of only 16 Mbps. The only way to use 2-pass VBR or bitrates higher than 50 Mbps, then you will have to use software-only encoding no matter which GPU-based encoder hardware you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is this the way it is with VBR 2 encoding?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the limitation of all GPU hardware. Adobe has nothing to do with this. The limit is set by Intel, Nvidia and AMD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is there a limitation? Technically why do they limit the GPU to disable hardware encoding during VBR 2 encoding?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a limitation because it has been confirmed with other video editing software. None of those software programs will even perform hardware encoding at all when 2-pass VBR is selected: Either the export will refuse to start or the encoding mode will ungracefully default to software-only encoding with absolutely no warning or indication at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea. It's frustrating, but ... it is as it is.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My system can play RED R3D files with ease. No need for the After Burner card. I also think you should be complaining about the After Burner Card in the Apple forums not here. Intel's new CPUs might support multipass for H.264/265 but who knows for sure? Having said that as of now Adobe is up to par with the other NLE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines