• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

VBR 2 pass max target should equal the clip's bit rate?

Advocate ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm trying to squeeze the most quality I can out of my footage.  Export time not important.

My project has clips that are all 26 MBPS rate, progressive scan, SD, 8 bit.

I'm using AME, exporting using preset h264bluray, then burning to disc using Authworks6.   (the disc test looks good on hd monitor)

Question:

I'm using VBR 2 pass, if my clips are 26 MBPS then should my max bit rate be 26 MB and a target rate of about 23 MB?

I saw a chart that said my max bit rate should be around 10 for SD, but I'm thinking, can't I just raise that up to match the clip's native rate and get better quality?  Bluray goes up to 50mbps, so I'll be at half that, should be easy to play on all players.

Thank you for your advice,

Letty

TOPICS
Export , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Your opinion of "max quality" will differ from anyone else. Somebody run & gunning for a very non-critical crowd on YouTube may think the 10Mbps is just fine. Someone else who thinks themselves an auteur will think 23 too small.

I don't know where you fit ... so as you're the one who knows where you're going to be viewing it and can test it for that viewing experience, you'll have to judge.

For a single-generation deliverable ... meaning it's only for viewing ever, and that on say computer s

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's pretty easy to test, actually. And as everyone has different 'feels' for acceptable quality, I always recommend simply trying it both ways in something like that.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The combinations are endless and difficult to judge.  I think 10 is just too low, seeing how the clips are 26.

There isn't a rule of thumb on this one?   If I do 2 pass at a max of 26, and target 23, that isn't too way out of line?

I'm a little worried thinking it's an overkill but I'd like max quality as possible.  

Thanks Neil,

Letty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your opinion of "max quality" will differ from anyone else. Somebody run & gunning for a very non-critical crowd on YouTube may think the 10Mbps is just fine. Someone else who thinks themselves an auteur will think 23 too small.

I don't know where you fit ... so as you're the one who knows where you're going to be viewing it and can test it for that viewing experience, you'll have to judge.

For a single-generation deliverable ... meaning it's only for viewing ever, and that on say computer screens or "reasonable" sized TVs at normal distances ... a fair amount of compression is probably fine.

If you're expecting a large screen from fairly close, then you'll need less compression, something closer to original Mbps.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again Neil.  I'm gonna splurge and just use 23/26 mbps.  You only live once! 

Letty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines