Highlighted

VERY old project found, not sure how to open it or use videos?

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been going through some old data DVDs and found a VERY old Premiere project I created around 2002 of a trip I took to Israel.  I've got all of the video clips and the project files, bins, titles, etc. But I can't open anything in the current version of Premiere, and I'm not sure how to restore this valuable content.  I even tried opening the .mov files, but none of them will open on my MacBook Pro.  I also tried adding them to a new project (they are all named, so if I could get them to work I could potentially cut them together into a new project) but Premiere can't play them either.  The hitch on all this, beyond the fact that they were created using Premiere 6 (not CS6, obviously) is that they were created on a Windows machine.  

Is there any way to salvage this material?

Thanks!

Eddie

Topics

Formats, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

VERY old project found, not sure how to open it or use videos?

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been going through some old data DVDs and found a VERY old Premiere project I created around 2002 of a trip I took to Israel.  I've got all of the video clips and the project files, bins, titles, etc. But I can't open anything in the current version of Premiere, and I'm not sure how to restore this valuable content.  I even tried opening the .mov files, but none of them will open on my MacBook Pro.  I also tried adding them to a new project (they are all named, so if I could get them to work I could potentially cut them together into a new project) but Premiere can't play them either.  The hitch on all this, beyond the fact that they were created using Premiere 6 (not CS6, obviously) is that they were created on a Windows machine.  

Is there any way to salvage this material?

Thanks!

Eddie

Topics

Formats, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try installing vlc 

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

and see if the files will play.  vlc is sort of a swiss army knife of video players and if the video plays, hit command-i and go to codec details and tell us the codec, pixel dimensions and frame rate...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would just run them through Handbrake: https//handbrake.fr/ and transcode them to something newer. Shouldn't be a problem. As for your Premiere project file, probably not going to be able to be imported or opened, but can't hurt to try. Make a new project in Premiere, go to "Import Project" and bring that in! See how it goes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently salvaged some project files like this. I do not recall if the old projects were PR 6, but they were in the PR 6 style ".prj" type. I was on Windows previously and now.

Newer PR versions see the files as corrupted, and it does not matter if you compress them and save as .prproj.

I opened them in PR CS6, which prompts for a conversion and renames. And that CS6 file will open in CC versions. When doing the original projects, I was using a Pinnacle card, and transitions, and also old titles etc (Deko), did not work. And I had to find a way to fix the .avi files that were in a Pinnacle codec. So my method may  not work for your Mac based issues.

In any event, I could see how I had edited the files, where there were transitions, etc. I had a final movie in many cases, so once I sorted the codec there, I could retrieve the original look.

In any event, sorting the video files and just re-editing may be your best outcome.

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines