• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video and Audio not linked in timeline

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My video and audio from mov 29.97 fps files are not showing up as linked once I bring into the timeline. I've tried linking, unlinking, grouping, etc. but even when it says they are linked or grouped the audio and video cannot be moved or edited together.

I tried updating my computer, uninstalling and reinstalling the app, and deleting all the files from Media Cache and Media Cache Files folders in Application support. The issue remains the same.

I also opened old projects that did not have this issue before when I worked on them, and the problem is the same now in the old projects. It says they are linked or grouped but they will will not move or be edited together, only separately.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

In the upper left corner of the timeline, toggle the button "Linked Selection" to have Premiere respect the clip link status:

PPro Clip Linking Toggle.png

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem.  I drag clips along the timeline and the audio is unlinked and stays where it was originally; in four or five clips the audio has just disappeared completely!   I don't quite understand what the fix is... someone here said "trashing their preferences" worked (???) and someone else said to mke sure 'source patching for inserts and overights..."  how do I do that?  I checked my audio preferences and there's no such setting.  I'm new to Premiere and I'm becoming less and less endeared to the program.  For a program that people are raving so much about, I'm surprised how many glitches and crashes I'm experiencing since I started learning it two weeks ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most  likely tracks are not souce patched.

source patching.png

Adobe Premiere Pro Help | Source patching and track targeting

If you are new to Premiere take a subscription at LinkedIn./Learning

Premiere has a steep learning curve. If you do not master de basics and how to set up your computer and the program first editing will get frustating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I've been using it for about 5 years, so not a beginner, but not
super experienced either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I checked, and all of my tracks are source-patched according to your photo.  So far I'm on my third Premiere Pro course on Skillshare.  I love some of the things Premiere can do, but sometimes it feels like it's over-detailed.  I guess that's what makes it so versatile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that was too easy.  My problem with premier pro is accidentally clicking on things or unintenionally hitting shortcut keys and not being able to find my way back.  Thanks for this simple fix.:-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I clicked on the toggle button, but Adobe still isn't playing the audio from my video clips. Please advise.

Zach5FE8_0-1611726898877.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Source patching is probably your answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestion. What is source patching? I'm kind of new to
Adobe. Thanks! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See in your image, the blue blocks for V1/A1 on the left of the timeline panel? Those are the Track target selectors. Blue is active, charcoal is inactive.

There are blocks to the left of those, which are the Source target selectors. Charcoal is of course inactive ... so you don't have any active Source monitor tracks set. You would need to click in an audio and video track, then Premeire will add the media there.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2021 Oct 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Maybe I'm late and u already found this, but right next to the Snap button in your sequence, you have a button which is called Linked Selection. If you press this, your audio and video will be linked independently if the audio and video are on the correct audio track or not. 

I think this is what you need

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This saved me loads of time.. as I am a NOOOB. Thanks a millon..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue but it's either a bug in my case or unexpected behavior. I just upgraded to win 10 ver 22 that released this week. When I start a new project and import footage, everything is linked by default as normal and I can unlink it as normal either by deselecting linked selection on the timeline or under the sequence menu.

At some point in the middle of editing a project, linked selection stopped working meaning I turned it on but it's being ignored. I didn't touch source patching or anything else, I was just moving and cutting clips as usual, turning linked off and on as needed. It just stopped registering that I turned it on about an hour in so clips now remain unlinked.

The symbol is highlighted on the timeline and linked selection has the checkmark next to it in the sequence menu but the clips still select audio and video individually and unlink is grayed out on them.

The only thing I did differently before link stopped working is that I moved the audio of one clip out of sync with its video by a few frames to fix the lag in the original capture. After I did that, linked selection stopped working in the entire project. Not just on that clip. I have nothing selected when trying to turn it back on. It still won't turn back on.

I tried restarting the app and that didn't help. I opened up a different project and it now doesn't work in that one either. I don't feel like resetting preferences right now so I'll try that later. Just putting it out there that for some folks, there might actually be something going on with this in the latest release and it might be triggered by moving video/audio out of sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I right-clicked solely on the audio and was able to link them that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines