• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video Card Upgrade Question

Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been upgrading my machine to speed up the workflow and rendering in Premier and After Effects and now I'm onto the video card. I currently have a GTX 970 and am wondering if I should go to a 1070, a 1080, or a 1080 ti.

If the 1080 or 1080 ti won't affect rendering speeds much, I prefer to save the money for something else. If, however, the more expensive video card will have a measurable effect, it will be worth it. I notice that Premiere states Mercury Engine (CUDA) on rendering, so I imagine to more CUDA cores, the faster the rendering. But, I have found articles suggesting that the 1080 or 1080 ti have a marginal improvement in rendering over the 1070.

Can someone clear this up for me?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Well, I ended up upgrading to a GTX 1080 and wanted to report the results. The biggest improvement was in scrubbing through the timeline in After Effects. With my 970, it was like a slideshow moving the playhead through clips with effects. With the 1080, it is hugely improved.

And as far as exporting the video, I find that the render time has been cut down although the difference is not as dramatic as the issue in After Effects.

I am very happy that I upgraded to the GTX 1080. I can only imagine i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So in regards to my question, which video card is recommended when considering price vs benefit: GTX 1070, 1080, or 1080 ti?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sharkfoot.

I don't know what your other specifications are but here is my educated guestimate.

Going from a GTX970 to a 1070 / 1080 - you will most likely see very little, if any, real improvement. That said, if I had to choose between the two, the 1070 offers much better value. But again, other than bragging rights I don't think there will be much improvement as the 970 is very well paired with today's high end consumer CPU's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would agree that the performance difference between 1070/1080 will be marginal, so save your money. Further, we don't know your PC specs. Keep in mind that all the components in the system need to complement one another. If you stick the newest, most powerful GPU into an older computer, the GPU will likely never get used "full speed" - it has to wait for the rest of the system to "keep up". Like putting a big engine into a car with weak handling and braking, engine will never be ran wide open.

So that said, I don't even know that you'd see that much improvement with a 1070 over what you have now - as other stated, only certain things even use the GPU in Premiere, so don't expect overall speed increases.

Please let us know system specs

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My system specs are as follows: i7-4790k @ 4.4Ghz, MSI Gaming 5 (LGA 1150) board, GTX 970, 16GB 1866Mhz RAM, Primary SSD M.2 Samsung 960 Pro via PCIe adapter for 32Gb/s & various other SSDs connected via SATA.

This biggest speed boost was figuring out that I could run the Samsung M.2 960 Pro SSD at 32Gb/s via 4 lanes in a PCIe adapter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe take RAM to 32GB, might be a better overall performance boost - especially if getting into 4K editing. That may be a better option than GPU

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, I ended up upgrading to a GTX 1080 and wanted to report the results. The biggest improvement was in scrubbing through the timeline in After Effects. With my 970, it was like a slideshow moving the playhead through clips with effects. With the 1080, it is hugely improved.

And as far as exporting the video, I find that the render time has been cut down although the difference is not as dramatic as the issue in After Effects.

I am very happy that I upgraded to the GTX 1080. I can only imagine it will continue to improve as the driver support matures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines