Exit

Video imported with lower audio sample rate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The imported video's audio stream information, as reported by VLC:
Annotation 2020-08-03 213653.png

That same video's audio stream information after being imported, as reported by Premiere Pro:

Annotation 2020-08-03 214003.png

Can anyone help me diagnose why this video's audio track is being automatically downgraded upon import? I've tried clearing the media cache and re-importing, but that didn't make a difference.

TOPICS
Audio , Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

We're sorry to hear about this. Please let us know the version of Premiere Pro that you are using. Is this happening with any specific media or all the media files?  Also, what is the source of the media file (is it a screen captured media or recorded on a camera)? Let us know, we're here to help.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's Premiere Pro version 14.3.1 (build 45).

I've noticed at least one other video clip having its audio quality noticeably reduced upon import. I'm not sure what sort of trial-and-error can tease out exactly what the specific circumstance is that triggers the change to the sample rate.

In the above example, the source of the video is an OBS-recorded screen capture, but I had a similar problem with a recording from a webcam.

I wonder if there's any significance to Premiere reducing the sample rate to specifically 1/4 of the original rate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

codec ss.png

The same video was converted into an AVI version (on left) and an MP4 version (on right). Premiere Pro mangled the audio quality of the one on the left in the manner described in my post above, but preserved the full audio quality of the one on the right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen capture ... yea, you need to be very careful of the settings used. Note, the one with trouble is an mp3, not the same format as the one that plays fine. Premeire has trouble at times with mp3 files.

Download/install the free utility app MediaInfo and after the app's icon appears on the desktop, drag/drop a file onto that app's icon. It will open ... go into the Tree view, make another screen grab, and post it back here. Do one of each file.

Neil 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The screen capture's audio was recorded with mp4a audio, but in a Matroska container that Premiere couldn't open. I converted it into a few other type types to see what worked best for Premiere.

AVI MediaInfoAVI MediaInfo

MP4 MediaInfoMP4 MediaInfo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines