Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

VIDEO LAGGING HELP PLEASE (BEGINNER)

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone!

This has been so frustrating! I have began to create a video and it's lagging so much that I am unable to edit my clips. I'm not sure if it's something I'm just missing because I am a beginner or what, because I've tried rendering, viewing playback lower quality, deleting old media caches, etc. It's still so slow that it's not working at all. Every time I close and reopen Premiere Pro it works well twice over before turning awful again. I'm editing from a Macbook Air, all my media I'm editing from a Lacie hardrive. 

Before putting my video together, I edited and cropped all the pieces of footage I wanted to use and they're somewhere in the timeline, and there's quite a few. Could this be the issue? Should I just restart? 

Thanks so much,

Julia

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which camera is the footage from, Julia? If it's H.264, or HEVC footage (and it usually is with this common complaint), this is difficult for any computer to edit.

What most editors do is make copies of the footage in a process called "transcoding." Then, use the copies of the clips instead of the originals (which you can archive).

You can try transcoding the footage to another format that is easy to edit with. I love to use ProRes LT, and it sounds like a good format for you too with your lightweight Mac.

Just drop the files into Media Encoder, choose QuickTime as the format, and ProRes LT as the Preset. Click the Match Sequence Settings check box and add each clip to the queue.

If the files will not be accepted by Media Encoder, it's possible that you are using video files that are not acceptable to Premiere Pro either (likely, they have a variable frame rate), you must transcode them in a shareware app. Shutter Encoder and Handbrake are two options for you in that regard. Handbrake is very popular.

The drawback is that you would be editing H.264 files in .mp4 format, which are still not performant, but certainly better than original files with variable frame rates.

The best possible scenario for you is to edit with ProRes LT files, I think. The drawback is that files are quite large, but you only need them for editing with. Once you export and deliver the file, you can delete these files. Your archive can always restore the transcodes.

Getting the files into an editable format is the only hurdle you have. After that, I think you'll love the editing process with clips that are performant in your system. Let us know how we can help you more.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What video codec are you editing? What are your specs and stats? Some but not all variations of H.264 are easy to playback if you can use Quick Sync or Nvenc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Andy! Yes, you're right about H.264 decoding. It's vital for editing those hardcore files on lightweight Macs like Julia's MacBook Air.

Some devices are starting to shoot footage that is not working with hardware encoding very well: drone footage, 4:2:2 and/or 10 bit footage. Macs will use QuickSync for hardware decoding with their AMD GPUs.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your machine meet min system requirements.

Editing from a spinning external drive is not a very good setup.

Adobe Premiere Pro CC System Requirements

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We didn't hear back, Julia. Hope all is well.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines