Highlighted

Video not showing up in Premiere Pro - only audio

New Here ,
Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there:

I'm running on Windows 10, and originally installed Premiere 2017 - it worked well. Now my computer auto updated to Premiere 2018, and nothing is working properly. I even went back to the 2017 version and it's still not working.

Here's the issue ...

I import my video files and then drag and drop them into the editing window and the track window and I can't see the video *at all*. In some views I can see thumbnails, but that's it. The audio is working fine - I can hear the audio for my clips.

i have work I have to complete - can you please help me ASAP?! Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Video not showing up in Premiere Pro - only audio

New Here ,
Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there:

I'm running on Windows 10, and originally installed Premiere 2017 - it worked well. Now my computer auto updated to Premiere 2018, and nothing is working properly. I even went back to the 2017 version and it's still not working.

Here's the issue ...

I import my video files and then drag and drop them into the editing window and the track window and I can't see the video *at all*. In some views I can see thumbnails, but that's it. The audio is working fine - I can hear the audio for my clips.

i have work I have to complete - can you please help me ASAP?! Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 15, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your Source track target for a video channel turned on?

Source Patching.PNG

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 15, 2017 6
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - thanks Neil.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2017 0
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the screenshot!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 12, 2018 0
Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most welcome.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 12, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hummm Was right in front of my face. Thanks like the easy fixes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2019 1
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! This really helped!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my computer auto updated to Premiere 2018

That's just not possible.  Adobe software will only update with user intervention.  Either you did it, or someone else did.

To expand on Neil's post:

Patching source sequences in Premiere Pro

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 15, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So just following the logic here: someone has a problem and from your point of view, there is no issue, no way to help, and the fault lies totally with the original person.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 03, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. First Check is your source video "v1"by default is turned on or not.

2. Second option Go to Files > Project Setting > General > Renderer > Mercury Playback Engine Software only

select this renderer if still video doesn't show up than try other two renderer option which are

i) Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (Metal)

ii) Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (OpenCL)

3. Third option do a Full uninstallation remove all preferences and setting

or

Try reset the preferences:

Press Alt (Windows) or Option (Mac OS) while launching Premiere Pro. You can release the Alt key or Option key when the splash            screen appears.

To reset preferences and plug-in cache at the same time, hold down Shift-Alt (Windows) or Shift-Option (Mac OS) while the                      application is starting. Release the Shift-Alt keys or Shift-Option key when the splash screen appears.

If you don't see the list of your recent projects on the Welcome Screen the next time you launch Premiere Pro, the preferences were        reset correctly.

4.  In follow ScreenShot Check if u have these windows and panel open or not.

Also Check you working under "program (no sequence)" or under any other panel.

Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 12.09.37 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 15, 2017 6
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi anshul_saini:

Thanks so much for all the info.

V1/Source video is on. I've different settings for the renderer and that seemed to help things along. I now can get some video showing, but a strange thing is happening - the video is only showing when I adjust the size of my windows - and there is a lot of ghosting when I do that (info coming in and out and repeating on the screen). Is it possible that this is a video driver issue as well? (This is in Premiere Pro 2017 by the way - I've given up on 2018 for the time being.)

And, with some older projects, I'm getting this error message when I open them:

Also, I have uninstalled & reinstalled but kept my preferences, so I will try that too. I'll also check those other settings you mentioned.

Any other ideas? Thanks! Shirley

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2017 0
Dec 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you haven't changed your GPU since the last work of this project, then maybe you do have a driver issue. Manually checking the driver version installed against the manufacturer's most recent driver for that card would be a good thing to check.

Sometimes folks find that they are on an older driver that hasn't been updated properly ... and sometimes, that they're on the latest, but going back a driver version gets them running.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2017 0
Advisor ,
Dec 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's also possible that the video drivers were updated through Windows. Ensure that they are updated only through the manufacturer of the video card or nVidia.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2017 1
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil. I'll try that. I have been fiddling with it all weekend and have it working again to some extent. It still seems to be an issue with the size of the editing, tracking, etc. windows - which I find a little strange - so I'll look at that driver issue more closely.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2017 0
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay - thanks so much. I'm looking into this further.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2017 0
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Option 2 worked for me. Thank you so much! I'm editing kindergarten videos and the missing image was driving me insane!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 05, 2018 0
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried each of these options and my clips are still only going into sequence as audio. I have no idea what else I can try.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 30, 2018 0
Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you by any chance on Mac OS 10.11 or 10.12?

Some of the people with issues seem to be on those two, and there's an updated Mac OS out, 10.13.4. Just a wild guess ...

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 30, 2018 0
New Here ,
May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this exact problem where my video screen doesn't even appear on the timeline and it'll show a blank black screen but the audio appears and works fine. I'm using a Wacom Mobile Studio Pro computer tablet. My specs are

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6567U CPU @ 3.30GHz  3.30 GHz

Ram: 8.00GB

System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I use Windows 10 Pro

Version: 1709

and I have the Premiere Pro (2018) set on Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (OpenCL) for render. I really don't know what to do please help me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 01, 2018 0
May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What graphics does that come with? And what happens if you choose software only?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 02, 2018 0
New Here ,
May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graphic card:

Intel® Iris™ Graphics 550

My current display resolution is set to 2560 x 1440 which is the recommended res.

And even when I switch to software only the problem still persists. This never happened until I updated to the 2018 version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 02, 2018 0
May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest drivers?

I will note that with the bare minimum RAM to operate PrPro, and no dedicated GPU with a couple gigs of vRAM that is a rig that could have some challenges with an NLE.

And for many rigs, 2018 does seem a bit needier of resources. Past that, I'm not experienced with units like yours.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 02, 2018 0
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Option 2 worked for me as well. Selected Software Only, restarted Premiere (had to end task in task manager), it worked, then went back to hardware acceleration, and it still worked. Thanks, anshul_saini. Well done.

@JordansMoves

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2018 0
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! you saved my editing life! i reset my preferences like you said and it worked!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 02, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU SO MUCHHH, I have a school project to edit and this really helped!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 19, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so very much anshul_saini, this tip saved my productivity today!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for these steps, the renderer was the issue on my end. Once I switched it to the other option it starting working great!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Shirley,

Anshul_saini, Neil & cvid01 have valid suggestions. Please give them a shot. Also, you haven't provided any information about your computer specifications. Which GPU is installed in your machine? Tell us about the RAM & CPU.

Thanks,

Rameez

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2017 0
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rameez:

Thanks - I have it working to some extent now, but there's still an issue with resizing the editing, etc. windows. I'm not certain which GPU is installed - can you let me know how to check that?

Here are my specs - let me know if you know of anything else I should try:

-8th Generation Intel(R)Core(TM) i7-8550U Processor (8MB Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)

-NNVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) 940MX 4GB GDDR5

-8 GB RAM

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shirley is this project is first made on pc or on a mac os ?

If you have firstly done this on mac than you have to complete on mac or you have  to install Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (OpenCL) render and if it is already installed than just switch to it you will be able to see your video again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2017 0