Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video rendering and playback premiere pro cc grayed out after Pr Pro update

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I have a problem after the update to Premiere Pro CC 2019. My video rendering and playback option is all grayed out when starting a new project. In Premiere Pro CC 2018 i could choose between: "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA)"(the one i always choose) and "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only". But in CC 2019 version the option is grayed out on the "software only" option.

This is resulting(i assume is the reason) that when i open all my old projects all my rendering is on done(shows red) and most of my LUTS have gone all arse ways. When i start new project every clip i import shows red in the sequence panel(not yellow like in CC 2018). This is slowing down my workflow by about 40% due to rendering and extensive exporting times.

Any suggestions what could be the issue?

Best regards James

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Hi,

Sorry for your issue. I understand that you are unable to make changes to the Video Renderer since it is grayed out with Mercury Playback Engine Software only. There have been few changes to the support for GPU acceleration with the latest Adobe Premiere Pro update. Please check this article for details: Important information on GPU-acceleration with CUDA and Apple Metal | Adobe Blog

• Please try updating the latest drivers by choosing the Nvidia GPU installed on your machine via this link: Download Drivers | NVIDIA

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry for your issue. I understand that you are unable to make changes to the Video Renderer since it is grayed out with Mercury Playback Engine Software only. There have been few changes to the support for GPU acceleration with the latest Adobe Premiere Pro update. Please check this article for details: Important information on GPU-acceleration with CUDA and Apple Metal | Adobe Blog

• Please try updating the latest drivers by choosing the Nvidia GPU installed on your machine via this link: Download Drivers | NVIDIA​.

The CUDA version should be 9.2 or higher.

Let us know if it helps.

Thanks,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me as well.

Working on projects no problem and then after the 2019 update I am suddenly obsolete.

"Renderer" greyed out and apparently suddenly needing twice as much GB on my GeForce GTX 770 as the Premiere version, and countless CUDA enhanced projects, just prior.

Cuda Driver for my Windows 10 threw "not compatible with this version of Windows" and "This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware" errors.

Totally hosed here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With that GPU you would need to stay in 2018. They're moving forward and trying to limit the back-code left in as part of trying to gain stability.

Updating gear is something to simply plan for in video post work. Painful as it can be at times.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well "that GPU" is still sitting pretty on their recommended video adapters and on a secondary machine rolling back trumps updating gear.

The crux is seeing the casual "you knew this was coming" or much better "they didn't change much in the way of GPU acceleration" responses. Laughable. Luckily I am gaining solace reading through the dozens of threads (here and abroad) sizzling on this very topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can always have a great discussion on how much older gear they should support. Especially when the manufacturer of that gear has changed their system, relegating the older bits ... old.

It is fascinating to watch as users insist that the PrPro team should 1) totally rewrite their code to make everything faster 2) get more stability 3) immediately support any new gear/camera/device/codec and ... 4) work seamlessly and fast on things running near a decade old.

The code for the older GPUs is completely different from that for the newer ones. That's not Adobe's fault, it's because of the major changes to improve their product made by the GPU folks. So ... should Nvidia and AMD freeze their software/architecture to the current model so that all current GPUs work in anything forever?

I'm not thinking that would sell to anyone, really.

PrPro's code has to change, and in time, needs to drop code only there for older gear that's not been made in several years. Fact of life. And yea, I've both upgraded and had to buy new rigs a couple different times in the last four years. Called a cost of doing business. Not that I enjoy it. And ... as my media needs are going up a tad, I'm gonna need not just a new but a rather robust new build this winter. THAT bill ... gonna be an ouch.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do face similar issue with a GTX1080 TI, do you mean this card is obsolet as well ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course not. I hope you did actually read the thread? The GPU listed above is an older architecture card than yours. That older card is not supported, yours is.

So the problem isn't actually the same ... if you're having troubles with a 1080, that is solvable, we'd just need to know what your total rig is and what exactly is happening. With some of the 970's and I think all 960's & earlier, they can't use the newer and needed driver series.

So ... OS/CPU/RAM, how much vRAM on that 1080Ti, and what is your driver version? Is this a desktop or laptop? And of course, we are talking about the Project settings option here for Mercury Acceleration ... not the Export dialog box.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, how much VRAM does your GTX 770 have?

You see, MPE GPU acceleration in Premiere Pro CC 2019 now requires 4 GB or more VRAM just to even enable it. Most GTX 770's, unfortunately, have only 2 GB of VRAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey legend. Unfortunately my VRAM is 4GB. And I am still not getting Cuda Acceleration! 

My system is in the cut off of basic minimum system requirement, I don't do much of the editing as well. It should have worked fine.

Why my GPU acceleration is grey out and how do I fixed it. Don't tell me you need to update or anything. 

I have Adobe 14.4 and latest Driver updates. What do I do now, map me there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no fix at all, in this case. Beginning with CUDA 11.0 (which debuted with driver version 451.48), the newer drivers now no longer suipport any of the first-gen Kepler GPUs (those that use any of the GK10x chips, including your GTX 770) for CUDA processing. The current 456.38 Game Ready driver will install on your system with the GTX 770, but CUDA will be disabled. CUDA support for all Kepler and first-gen Maxwell GPUs had been depreciated beginning with the 441.xx series drivers (CUDA support for the first-gen Kepler GPUs had at the time been locked to CUDA 10.0 level while that in the second-gen Kepler {GK110/GK208} and first-gen Maxwell {GM10x} GPUs have been locked to CUDA 10.1 level).

All that is so that Nvidia can add support for the new Ampere architecture GPUs (beginning with the RTX 3080, which began shipping to resellers this past Thursday) in newer drivers, beginning with the aforementioned 456.38 driver.

As a result of the changes, beginning with Premiere Pro 14.3.1, Adobe now requires full hardware support for CUDA 10.1 or higher in order to even use GPU acceleration at all. Unfortunately, your GTX 770 (and all other GPUs based on the first-gen Kepler architecture) do not have hardware support for the additional features in CUDA 10.1.

So, your GTX 770 is now obsolete, as far as CUDA is concerned. And unfortunately, the only fix is a new graphics card (GPU).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but mine is GTX 1650 and it worked even before installing CUDA tool kit 11. 

the error came in the last 2 days only.  I debug with CUDA, not working still. same with other editors. (DaVinciResolves) They dont let me into the software cuz says no graphic card found.

I completely uninstall the driver using DDU and reinstalled everything latest. 

Yet, same. can't enter Da vinci nor my work flow on the premier pro.

should i just Reboot my system? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this problem. Although yesterday it worked just fine, today I cannot create a new project, nor open yesterday's project, and get CUDA rendering, the choice is gray and set to software only. Could it be because I'm also currently running a 360 stitcher that is using the graphics card? In any case, this is a bug, because either it should tell me why it's doing this, or it should find a way to let me use it. Definitely not a hardware or driver problem, as I said, it worked just yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have another app running that is taking the GPU, then Premiere will probably not be able to access it "correctly". I would guess a 360 stitcher would use a GPU a fair amount.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem after updating my NVIDIA driver for my Geforce card. After a bit of head scratching, I just downloaded and installed Nvidia's CUDA Toolkit and Premiere gave me the CUDA option again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well just open registry editor>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>KHRONOS>OPENCL>VENDORS. Now select your driver mine is intel and amd...so i double click intel and set Value data: 1

Now just click on OK... open adobe pr pro...now you can able to choose your gpu acceleration(openCL).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOOO THANK YOU SO MUCH!! FOR WHOEVER ELSE IS HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM, THIS SOLUTION WORKS!!

If you're having trouble figuring which driver to change value data for look to where it says "Data" which should be to the left of "Type". The one you want to change will say something like "None Entered" or "No Value Entered" or something of that matter. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS ANSWER JUST... SAVED... MY LIFE. OMG THANK YOU MY LORD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a file called "cuda_supported_cards.txt" in the installation directory of Premiere Pro. Check that file to see if your card is supported if your graphics card isn't there, it isn't supported. Please do not add your card to the list to make it work regardless, as that might be against the EULA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That old supported cards list is ONLY for CS6 PrPro, since then the app simply looks at the resources (shaders/CUDA count, vRAM) and drives of the GPU. This does nothing for any CC PrPro version.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess what? That file does absolutely nothing at all in any recent version of Premiere Pro. In fact, there is absolutely no such file at all in any of the currently available versions of Premiere Pro.

With that said, since the introduction of CUDA 11, the old first-gen Kepler GPUs such as the GTX 770 that's referenced in an earlier post are no longer supported for CUDA processing. And earlier this month, Nvidia itself announced the EOL of driver development and support for all remaining Kepler GPUs, with the last new driver release with new feature support expected to be released this coming August 31 while critical security fixes will continue for another three years after that date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a shame you pay for a product that works and when the update comes in, it doesn't work anymore.  When you pay for a product, you are paying for that specific service/product, if they change it, that is called in this case, theft of service.  If they take something away or it doesn't work as descxribed, there should be a price drop for a someone lemon or "BAIT AND SWITCH.'   It's truly unethical practice.  If they modify a product that you are already paying for, by law, they should let you know so you can make an educated decision.  Anything less is unethical.  Shame on Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, rant away. I've poste a couple epic ones here, feel free!

Just ... understand while many of us may agree with parts of any one rant, there's some things you said that don't make sense to other's also. Everyone's mileage always varies of course.

For instance ... according to your reasoning, they could never ever put out a new version.

Because ... any new version, that adopts updated code and internal practices ... will stop working well, if at all, with certain older gear. That's been a fact of life the entire time of computers. And then you have licensing and "partnering" situations, where any company is legally required to make changes in the product.

Past that, you have situations like Apple making it very, very clear to any company wishing to remain a "partner" of their development, that for instance certain GPU processes must be discontinued. To wit, OpenCL. Getting on Apple's "bad people" list is very, very easy to do, and is not pleasant for other companies.

And that is past the simple truth that no one has to update the software immediately. It's a user choice. And you can keep working in the older version, and you are at that point still fully using their service.

I've had new major versions where I needed to remain on the old one for 3-6 months before they had an update that would work on my system. And I worked just fine for that time. Kept testing the new update patches they released, and when it finally worked on my kit I migrated my projects forward.

That's life in the computer world.

BlackMagic's Resolve went a major upgrade from 17.3 to 17.4, which totally bonked on some user's systems. Just like with the Adobe apps, most worked fine. Some had annoying issues but could still work. And some couldn't work at all.

They've put out a patch, which has some bonked users able to migrate. But still not all. Because ... that's life in the computer age.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In my Premier Pro 2023 the option is greyed out inspite of having GTX 1650 and they are updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines