Why did I get this?

warning.jpg

TOPICS
Error or problem , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

I switched the "video rendering and playback" to Mercury Playback Engine software only, like someone mentioned, and it worked!! YAY

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 113 Replies 113
LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 14, 2019 Apr 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never seen this before. I've been editing video, the same kind of video (codecs) for many years and editing in premiere for at least 15 years and have never had this sort of warning or indication that anything like this was wrong. Why are there decode errors in less than five frames? is it something wrong with premiere or my computer? and what does it mean when this error shows repeatedly?

It just happened again. This time I'm editing something new. It started with the program monitor locking up. Instantly then the frame substitution and error messages. Now the program monitor is black (see below). This is a new computer build (i9 9900K, 2080 Ti, 64 Gb RAM, SSD's & m.2 for OS/programs). I was editing along nicely and then about 30 minutes in this happened. I've only had this build about a month and a half. Adobe just started doing this though on my older computer (first gen i7 980x, 24 Gb Ram, GTX 680 if I recall correctly) with an entirely different  project. I moved that project to my new computer and it was still doing it. I just don't recall if the project totally locked up and the warnings were more media related, usually at least. I've done countless things to resolve this from changing video drivers, to reinstalling, etc... some where adobe typekit font issues also, until finally two new projects more later everything finally smoothed out. Now this. seems to be happening again.

Here's what I got again, today in a different project. This time it started with 3 messages regarding frame substitution. Then every time I go back and forth between typing here (typing this) and premiere I'm seeing a long list of "error retrieving frame" (...22 through ...56ish)

Now the screen is black.

Now, granted, I pushed this project a little harder. I've had this project open since last night. I've the computer asleep in between editing. And this project has two 4K and 1 360 video track (just showing it flat though of course). But these factors where not the case at all when this has happened before.

After restarting the program to resume editing I got this:

I'll follow back up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alrighty adobe people, still getting warnings that inhibit my workflow. Does adobe care? If so please help me FIX THIS!

this-time-adding-blur-and-warning-comes-up-every-time-I-move-timeline-indicator.jpg

this is the project and where i started getting the dreaded nightmare warnings. This time I was simply adding a blur (you may be able to tell from the image)

here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is this? why did you put that? is this a riddle?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2019 Apr 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, its a ping to a adobe engineer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having this "new enhanced feature" causing issues. What does this mean? What can I do to get this resolved so I can simply edit? I'm only trying to use this program I'm paying for!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this problem and have since solved my issue.  All I did was import the two files again and it took care of everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now getting this with Adobe Premiere Pro 2020. Did not happen with 2019. None of the fixes suggested work. Basically, I replace trouble areas with new media/video and pray it works. Not what I need to complete work on deadline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2019 Apr 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Used to be when PP had trouble reading a frame during export, it would substitute a red frame in it's place as a warning that a frame was dropped.

Speaking for myself, I view this new method as akin to putting up a smaller pothole sign, more difficult to spot, but leaving the actual pothole in place.

I think the underlying issue is what needs resolution, not the warning method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help with answers, saying "I think the underlying issue is what needs resolution, not the warning method." does not help in any way. Of course the underlying issue, not the warning, needs to be resolved. Do you think I'm trying to resolve just the warning and not the issue, really? Are you suggesting I somehow fix the issue without knowing what it is and how? Are you suggesting I don't share the warning to help troubleshoot it? Or are you suggesting I don't come here with these questions? Please, you really don't have to answer these questions. I don't have time for this kind of dialog. I don't think anyone on the planet does really. Life is too short and I'm trying to be creative, not an adobe forum regular. Please only share ways to prevent this from happening so that I may be creative with this so called creative suite that I have been paying for every month. I have lost so many hours by this point that if I was paid my normal hourly wage for those hours I would have a lifetime subscription paid up. If I wasn't so busy I would already be trying Davinci Resolve and hopefully getting as far away from adobe trash as possible by now.

This year has been insane. First on my older build that was fine for like almost ten years until very recently. Then I build a completely new computer with all the latest greatest and still problems like crazy. Adobe has gone down hell like and elephant dropped from the sky. Here the problem is again today, completely different project.

frame-sub.png

frame-sub-warning.png

At first when the error occurred the timeline was inaccessible, then was suddenly accessible but totally locked:

frame-sub-warning-timeline.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2019 Apr 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you think I'm trying to resolve just the warning and not the issue, really?

No.

I think Adobe is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please only share ways to prevent this from happening

File a bug report below, so that Adobe will be more inclined to fix the actual issue, not just change the warning.

Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File a bug report below, so that Adobe will be more inclined to fix the actual issue, not just change the warning.

Adobe video & audio apps

Thanks, with all that's in there I don't feel very hopeful they'll do anything. I did it though, I shared it there.

I lost about an hour and a half again today just with chat support. The last 4 times I've tried them it's been pointless. I guess all this money we give them every supports that crap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haven‘t read the entire thread, but thought I’d share how I solved my issues with black frames substitutions. In the media browser window, I noticed I wasn't seeing the poster frame thumbnails on some clips. Those same clips worked fine in previous versions of PPro. The problem seems to have been an issue with corrupted, or uninstalled, or unrecognized codecs. I reinstalled “AfterCodecs” pack (purchased from aescripts site), AVID LE codecs, and quicktime codec which seems to have solved the problem. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I'm about to reinstall windows and all my programs. Maybe that will work like what you did? Do you think it is necessary to purchase AfterCodecs from aescripts? And where did you get the AVID LE and quicktime codecs and how did you install those?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neofilm, no I didn’t reinstall Windows or anything other than the codecs. You should only reinstall Windows as a very last resort. You may not even need to purchase AfterCodecs. I’d try the Avid and QuickTime codecs first. You may be able to find all the codecs you need for free but I wouldn’t randomly install too many codec packs. The popular K-lite codec packs are known to cause issues with PPro for some people, so I’d stay away from those and a few other like that.

Here are QuickTime codecs

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Download/Avid-QuickTime-Codecs-LE

Here is a link for the Avid LE codecs

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/Avid-Codecs-LE-v2-5

And lastly, here is a link to “AfterCodecs” pack

https://aescripts.com/aftercodecs/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 26, 2019 Apr 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I reinstalled windows, video drivers, everything from scratch and as right as possible. I even paid my friend who works on computers for a living. So, my computer is super solid. I did this because Adobe Tech support said I needed to contact microsoft because in event viewer I had some sort of error with .dll or something. Well, everything is working great, started a new project, and about 30 minutes into editing bam, the insanity starts over again. So, I just downloaded the two Codecs you suggested (although, after downloading them and unzipping them neither says QuickTime, both have the same name "AvidCodecsLESetup" so that's confusing). I just install them and I'm about to try editing again for a bit. I'll be editing a lot over the next few days. So we'll see how this goes:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, installing those two codecs (that were free) didn't work. I'm losing so much time and paying for it with this adobe stuff enough. I don't think I should start spending more money on a codec yet unless this is absolutely going to fix it. Here's what happened again after shutting the program down, installing those codecs (by downloading, extracting, and then double clicking the application file in each), opened premiere back up, and then editing for about an hour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experienced the same issues as OP today, for seemingly no reason and out of the blue. Naturally, we have a deadline tomorrow at 8am, with crew literally onsite (3pmET) shooting last minute details by client request.. Aren't we all made of magic with unlimited credits on our timemachine metrocard??

We Installed the codecs from the top two links Neofilm suggested just now (did not purchase aftercodecs, but would have if the first two links did not correct the issue) restarted Premiere (did not restart PC), and we were back to functional again!

Many thanks for the protip! Neo. We followed your white rabbit.

~Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still, after all I've done: building a new computer that is top shelf, rolling back drivers, using creator drivers, lettings "adobe tech support" access and look at my computer, reinstalling OS and all programs, installing a couple of codecs, and this latest update last night, after all this I'm still getting interrupted after about an hour of editing.

What does a person do???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed one of the warnings was on a Sony m2ts clip. I’m wondering if other m2ts play fine without getting the error pop-ups. If so, then I‘m not sure what to suggest. Have you tried switching from the accelerated GPU (cuda) to “software only” in the project settings window (assuming you use a cuda enabled GPU) just to see if it makes a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The warnings happen every project and most of my projects lately have had different assets. So, it isn't a bad project at all and it doesn't seem to be related to the assets. I've been editing Sony m2ts clips for years so I don't know why that would matter. And it doesn't happen right away, I can edit perfectly without any problems for about an hour before it happens. Then when it happens I need to close the project and re-open it to start editing again, so if it was the clip it seems like it would be consistently happening. The last couple of times it happened I could close/reopen the project and edit for about an hour and the second time around adobe wouldn't even open without a fatal error.

It just happened again. It also references a .png file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe there is an intermittent problem with the media drive’s interface/controller/ or lane of connection to the computer. Can you load the media on to an external drive and test to see if the problem  occurs then?

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines