• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Warp Stabilizer stalls and sometimes freezes Premiere

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2019 Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a complete newb and struggling with this. 

I have just under an hour of footage from a gopro and need to stabilize it all. WS starts and gets going but stops at some point through the night and I'm back to square one. 

It looks like I'm getting a bit better than a frame a second. 95056 frames going to take 900 minutes. 

I don't care if it takes a full day (although I'd figure it would be faster), just that it finishes. 

I've set my computer to "never sleep".

Only thing running is PP

PP is set to make use of my video card. 

Everything is up to date. 

Computer is an i7, 64g DDR4, nVidia GTX 1070/ 8 gig. Software is on an NVME drive and all files come from SSD. 

Usage is low on the GPU (20%) but high on the ram (25%) given its 64.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm worried I'll be left without being able to do this properly. 

Tks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warp was designed as a last-ditch salvage tool for short clips you can't possibly reshoot. It is probably the most hardware intensive tool in Premiere.

Using it on a single hour long clip will hammer most any massive system. Don't use it like that.

Break that into sections no more than five minutes a clip. Work each one. When it's good, render and replace to a good intraframe format/codec such as Cineform, DNxHd/R, or ProRes.

Then do your editing with the replaced media.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can tell, using warp stabilizer is very demanding on your computer resources. Everyone experiences the same thing... using warp stablizer is very demanding on ALL computer systems.

Why ? Because it is comparing all your pixels and the movement of those pixels, and trying to make them move less ( less shaky footage within frame ). In order to do this it has to perform the task and 'zoom in' slightly at the end of the operation ( discarding the pixels along the edges of your frame and replacing the frame with the new stabilized frame). That takes a lot of computing power.

Using H264 ( which your go pro gives you ) is also very demanding on your computer resources. It is a codec that is meant ( originally and even today ) for 'viewing' a video ( highly compressed ). Luckily most modern computers are so powerful it is possible to edit H264 in some cases. You will find that the higher your resolution ( 4K compared to full HD ) the more demanding it is on everyone's computer.

You are combining two very demanding things on your computer.

Even if you use a proxy ( instead of H264) you will find that warp stabliizer is very demanding on your computer.

If the demand on the computer exceeds the capacity of the computer vs. the chore it is given, it will freeze up or crash, etc.

Do a test, is my suggestion. Make a few cuts in your mp4 file, like one cut every 5 minutes... just do a few cuts.

Then use warp stablizer on those individual 5 minute clips you now have for your test. See if it works.

If it does work, just do that for the entire video you are working on.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're expecting too much of WS to figure out multiple minutes of footage - are you trying to achieve a hyperlapse style effect? Perhaps look at Microsoft Hyperlapse which might be more in line with what you are trying to achieve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you everyone. 

I'm realizing that warp stabilizer is a last ditch thing and hugely intensive. 

This was a walking video that had to be done and hopefully I'll never have to do this again. 

I'l sitting at the computer and it seems to be handling it with me watching so it must be some issue relating to sleep on the computer side. 

Tks again,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope you are right. But I kinda think you're missing the main point, and the cummulative effect of what you're trying to do.  Reminds me of Hamlet's 3rd soliquey 

To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to imagine your computer is Hamlet, and you are the playwright... ( Shakespeare )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi! 
I tried the following and it worked,

- Nesting the sequence

- Opening the nest 

- Applying Warp Stabilizer within the nested sequence. 

Hope this works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines