Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WAVEFORMS NOT SHOWING! help

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HELLO!

I recently installed Premiere Pro, and I happen to have stumbled upon a big problem: the waveforms are not showing. They are only a solid color (green). I am relatively new to editing with this program, so I need your help. Thanks!

TOPICS
Audio , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 25, 2018 Aug 25, 2018

Trash media cache manually.

FAQ: How to clean media cache files |Adobe Community

Open Pr and let it finish building the pek files before doing anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi russelr89173141,

Do you have the Show Audio Waveform option enabled?

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2018 Aug 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is turned on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2018 Aug 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trash media cache manually.

FAQ: How to clean media cache files |Adobe Community

Open Pr and let it finish building the pek files before doing anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2018 Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I know this was a while ago but I had the same problem and came up with a solution. So i figured I would share. I had an audio track that was about an hour long and the waveform only showed for about 5 minutes of it.

My solution ended up being to right click on the audio source in my project folder, click modify > audio channels. Preset is set to "use file" and chip channel format to "stereo". Messing with those settings made this waveform appear. I hope this is helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restart Premiere Pro or reboot the whole system

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked for me - just restarted Premiere - but will try cleaning media cache files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple and easy. Works fine with me.

Besides that, I think that my problem is with the media cache on a SSD running in a USB 3.0 Case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yo, this happened to me, and I realized that I cleared the Media Cache while the peak files were generating. In order to prevent this from happening give yourself time to edit and don't rush especially with large project files. Good luck soldier, see you on the battlefield.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a solution to this. tl;dr below.

I believe this is caused by there being confusion over whether there is an associated .pek file, or maybe an association with a corrupt or incomplete .pek file. So I have found that you can trick Premiere into make a new one.

1. Make sure this checkbox is checked: "Premiere Pro > Preferences > Audio > Automatic audio waveform generation"
  2. In the Premiere timeline, on the clip in question, right-click > Reveal In Finder
  3. In Finder, move the audio clip up in the Finder folder hierarchy
  4. Return to Premiere
  5. The clip should have lost its link to the file and the Link Media dialog box should automatically appear (if it doesn't, right-click > Link Media)
  6. Relink the clip to where it is in its new location

That should be it. Look at the bottom right of your Premiere windows to see if it's automatically generating new waveforms (generally a blue status bar). Wait till that bar is complete and tada: waveforms. They should show up immediately and automatically. I think what's happening is that this process disrupts Premiere's link between that file and any previously generated waveform information. So the incomplete or corrupt waveforms are ignored, and new ones are generated for the file in its new location. Moving the files up (as opposed to down or into a new folder in the same place) seems essential to confusing Premiere's automatic relinking process. If you've moved it sideways or down, when you click back over to Premiere from Finder, Premiere seems to be able to find it, and so nothing really happens. A couple notes from experimentation:

1. Seems okay to make a new folder, just has to be higher up
  2. This can be done in batches (batch move in Finder, batch relink in Premiere)
  3. Seems also to solve the problem of not being able to see Waveform information up through Multicams

tl;dr

Move the associated audio files in Finder to a higher folder in the hierarchy, then relink in Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in 99 percent of the cases, it's just the media cache that got corrupted.

just follow this and you are gold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyM6LtXVKZU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're the man. More power to you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro > Sequence > Audio render

That helped me to solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2019 Jul 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only thing that worked for me. Thanks for posting this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple and easy. Works fine with me.

Besides that, I think that my problem is with the media cache on a SSD running in a USB 3.0 Case

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was the solution for me.

Thank you very much, Internet stranger!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had nested sequences that weren't showing the waveforms. This is the only thing that worked for me. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2023 May 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nailed it. Thanks so much, this beats the 'helpful advice' to switch my PC off and on again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2024 Apr 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This was it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2020 Mar 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's green -- like mine -- so I assume it's a nested sequence.

Click on the green audio track and click "Render Audio" on the Sequence menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH YOU BEAUTY! This worked for me @S D Mol . Cleared cache, didn't do anything. I was able to see Waveform at only certain zoom levels. Did your idea and now its all levels. Buying you a virtual lunch mate, cheers!! 

Detail: FWIW it was a nested sequence

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a simple fix:

Please go to Premiere Preferences and select the Media Cache tab. 

There you will find the Media Cache Files Location. /Volumes/xx/xx/xx....

**Side note: I dedicate a separate drive to all cache files and recommend you do the same**

Open a Finder window and navigate to that cache folder. You will find a subfoler called Peak Files.

In Peak Files locate the exact problem-file names and delete them. 

Quite Premiere and restart. Let the program sit while it regenerates the Peak Files.

Finished.

Hope that helps.

JJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue and researched forever that's why I made this video - straight to the point no bla bla 🙂 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyM6LtXVKZU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines