• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Went from lightning fast editing to unusable overnight..

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I have run into a rather strange problem. Yesterday I did around 10 hours of work editing a video, its a fairly hefty project with around 45gb in assets. I was editing with no playback or performance issues what so ever, yet today I have loaded up the project to pick up where I left off and i'm suddenly dropping 1000's of frames per minute. 

PC Specs:

• CPU: Intel Core i7 10700F Comet Lake 4.8GHz (Normal 2.9GHz*) 16 Threads 16MB CPU
  • Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200
  • Graphics: 8GB 3060ti 
  • SSD: 500GB NVMe M/2 SSD
  • Motherboard: Intel B460M chipset
    Running latest version of PPCC

As I said the project was running perfectly yesterday, full res playback, very little render times etc. Today it has become unusable. The project is runnning from an external drive so I opened the project on my 2015 Macbook Pro and it ran with no problems (I had to lower the res to get smooth playback on the MB but lowering to the same res on my PC still drops the same amount of frames).

I've tried every solution the internet has thrown at me for fixing dropped frames in PP but none have worked. I've reinstalled & tried older versions. I've ran diagnostic tests on both RAM and GPU, no issues. All drivers are fully up to date. I've opened some huge 3D projects I have in Blender and they still run perfectly. I've even ran Call of Duty with the graphics maxed out at 170+ fps with no issues. It seems to be an isssue isolated to PP because it also drops huge amounts of frames on tiny projects that have less than 200mb worth of files. Rendering the final output still works perfectly.

Not sure what else to try at this point so any help is much appreciated.

Thankyou in advance.

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the external drive a standard hard drive instead of an SSD?  If so, you could have passed the capacity threshold for high-bandwidth performance.  It varies from drive to drive, but the general rules of thumb for a standard drive is 80% capacity (which you can usually push to 90% in a pinch).  It's really as simple as you go above that threshold and bandwidth drops while if you stay below it bandwidth remains fine.

Of coures, I'm just guessing here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is a standard HD and I did consider that but even when I make a brand new project on my SSD and drop in even just an MP3, it's behaving in exactly the same way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Already tried both of these.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines