• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What color icc profile is Premiere Pro using when Color Management is turned off ?

Advocate ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I read when CM is turned on, PPro will read the icc color profile that is selected in the OS system using Windows color management.

So when I turn OFF CM, what is PPro reading?

Reason asking is, when I turn off CM, I get a jump in the gamma. Timeline gets brighter.  As if it's reading another icc ?

If CM is on or off, shouldn't it still be reading the same ICC in the OS ?

Thanks!

Letty

Here are my Windows color management settings, showing I've installed the ICC (using X-Rite)

Unless there is an error is my settings?

1.png2.png3.png4.png

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

***Solution***Solution***Solution!  ..... Did I mention, Solution?

First off, kudos to chrisw44157881 for setting me in the right direction.  And of course, Neil for his time and insight.

Chris sent this to me:

Please keep in mind, the BDMV format simply encapsulates your videos into bluray format. they don't make a standard for you in colorspace rec. 709 16-235 BT1886. Either your bluray authoring software will need to do this or you need to export with a lut/grade/effect manually to turn your 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After some tests,

It turns out that using rec709 with 2.2 gamma (not 2.4) workflow is the one for me.

When I went back to 2.4 and used the LUT at export, the LUT gave the images a blanket of darkness that didn't look natural.  When I use 2.2, I'm able to adjust the black/white levels, color grade and what I see on the timeline is what I get on the hdtv.  It's fantastic.  Plus it's easier to really see the footage as it was meant to be seen.

When I'm in 2.4 gamma, the image is darker on the timeline and makes color grading more difficult.

So the jury is in and the verdict:  rec.709 2.2 gamma is the winner!

I turned off all the Color Management and set everything to sRGB. (monitor calibration rec.709, 2.2 gamma 100cd/m)  Getting great blurays now.  Of course, it's with my SD footage, I'm sure if I ever do an HD project, I'll be running for the 2.4 gamma.

Thanks again for your help and time,

Best,

Letty

Next drama, coming soon:  DCP export, and how to do that right.  But I'm a ways away for that.  You mentioned the DCP wants a starting point of gamma 2.2 converting to 2.6 ?  Maybe I'm on track?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe media encoder takes 2.2 gamma for wraptor DCP and authors to 2.6 xyz. I think your current setup should work. working in 2.2 and 2.4 are just 'conditions' as you can work in either depending on the viewing workplace environment of 5 nits surround for 2.4 for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That sounds great! Thank you for that.  Looking forward to finishing and making a DCP one day in the near fuure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines