Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What does generating peak file means ?

Contributor ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I did some importing into Premiere Pro CC 2015.

As far as I was given to understand, whenever we do an import, Premiere Pro will establish & only create a link to that file ... meaning it does not copy the whole file and eats up the memory.

Now I noticed that sometimes when I did an import, on the bottom right, there is a running message which says "Generating peak file for filename.mov" and for AVCHD, it says "Conforming filename.mts".

So what does this "Generating peak file for filename.mov" means ? And most importantly, will it copy a file and eats up my memory ?

Thank you.

Cheers

TOPICS
Audio , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

The .pek files allow the display of a waveform for audio.  You can turn this off in the Preferences, but then you won't see any waveforms for any of your audio files.

Conforming, in this case, means the creation of 32 bit floating-point audio files for use inside of PP, which will use these .cfa files for all audio processing, rather than the original audio.  This one can't be turned off.

Both take up space on the hard drive (not the same thing as 'memory'), but very little in comparison to video

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .pek files allow the display of a waveform for audio.  You can turn this off in the Preferences, but then you won't see any waveforms for any of your audio files.

Conforming, in this case, means the creation of 32 bit floating-point audio files for use inside of PP, which will use these .cfa files for all audio processing, rather than the original audio.  This one can't be turned off.

Both take up space on the hard drive (not the same thing as 'memory'), but very little in comparison to video files.  You can also change where these files are stored with Cache settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J. Simon wrote:

Both take up space on the hard drive (not the same thing as 'memory'), but very little in comparison to video files.  You can also change where these files are stored with Cache settings.

Thanks Simon for the answer, really appreciate it.

Thanks again ... and cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't need a sound wave either, I've been working by ear all my life and have never switch on in other programs. Now that I have to work in Premiere Pro, even disabling the sound wave does not stop this process. I'm not worried about performance, I just want to turn it off to free up the network channel to work, instead of waiting forever. Any hint...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

disabling the sound wave does not stop this process.

By @Filmorus

If the audio files aren't conformed, Premiere Pro won't play the audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's sad. In fact, I used to be in a situation where Avid did not have an AMA tool and any imported file had to be transcoded. Then AMA plugins from the creators of the formats appeared and all formats began to be read correctly without transformations. Adobe Premiere initially seemed to allow you to work with files directly, but in fact it turns out not to be so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines