What does generating peak file means ?

Contributor ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I did some importing into Premiere Pro CC 2015.

As far as I was given to understand, whenever we do an import, Premiere Pro will establish & only create a link to that file ... meaning it does not copy the whole file and eats up the memory.

Now I noticed that sometimes when I did an import, on the bottom right, there is a running message which says "Generating peak file for filename.mov" and for AVCHD, it says "Conforming filename.mts".

So what does this "Generating peak file for filename.mov" means ? And most importantly, will it copy a file and eats up my memory ?

Thank you.

Cheers

TOPICS
Audio, How to

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

LEGEND , Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015
The .pek files allow the display of a waveform for audio.  You can turn this off in the Preferences, but then you won't see any waveforms for any of your audio files.Conforming, in this case, means the creation of 32 bit floating-point audio files for use inside of PP, which will use these .cfa files for all audio processing, rather than the original audio.  This one can't be turned off.Both take up space on the hard drive (not the same thing as 'memory'), but very little in comparison to video ...

translate

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .pek files allow the display of a waveform for audio.  You can turn this off in the Preferences, but then you won't see any waveforms for any of your audio files.

Conforming, in this case, means the creation of 32 bit floating-point audio files for use inside of PP, which will use these .cfa files for all audio processing, rather than the original audio.  This one can't be turned off.

Both take up space on the hard drive (not the same thing as 'memory'), but very little in comparison to video files.  You can also change where these files are stored with Cache settings.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J. Simon wrote:

The .pek files allow the display of a waveform for audio.  You can turn this off in the Preferences, but then you won't see any waveforms for any of your audio files.

Conforming, in this case, means the creation of 32 bit floating-point audio files for use inside of PP, which will use these .cfa files for all audio processing, rather than the original audio.  This one can't be turned off.

Both take up space on the hard drive (not the same thing as 'memory'), but very little in comparison to video files.  You can also change where these files are stored with Cache settings.

Thanks Simon for the answer, really appreciate it.

Thanks again ... and cheers

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines