Highlighted

What is best practice for creating Titles in/for PP? Is my Workflow my problem?

Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys.

My PP has crashed on 95% of exports over the last month & any exports succeeding have taken over 10 hours. In this post, rather than reexamining hardware, or the Software Rendering advice etc I want to seek advice on my Workflow to see if I'm the problem.

Specifically, what is best practice for making titles for use in PP?

Each project contained:

1. 20+ discrete title slides,

2. Each title slide had Dip to Black at beginning & end,

3. Each title slide had multiple text lines,

4. Each title slide had 2 company logos, one was .AI and the other was .PNG,

5. Some title slides had text blocks with dot points just as I have made a numbered list 1-5 here.

I made my titles directly in PP & am wondering if this is putting my system under pressure, contributing to export crashing.

Would you have made these 20+ slides in PP? Or would you have made them in AI or PS and imported them to PP?

Thanks so much for any advice you give.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by mgrenadier | Adobe Community Professional

and if you choose a format that supports transparency, you can use that to superimpose over live video.  

Topics

Crash, Effects and Titles, Export, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

What is best practice for creating Titles in/for PP? Is my Workflow my problem?

Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys.

My PP has crashed on 95% of exports over the last month & any exports succeeding have taken over 10 hours. In this post, rather than reexamining hardware, or the Software Rendering advice etc I want to seek advice on my Workflow to see if I'm the problem.

Specifically, what is best practice for making titles for use in PP?

Each project contained:

1. 20+ discrete title slides,

2. Each title slide had Dip to Black at beginning & end,

3. Each title slide had multiple text lines,

4. Each title slide had 2 company logos, one was .AI and the other was .PNG,

5. Some title slides had text blocks with dot points just as I have made a numbered list 1-5 here.

I made my titles directly in PP & am wondering if this is putting my system under pressure, contributing to export crashing.

Would you have made these 20+ slides in PP? Or would you have made them in AI or PS and imported them to PP?

Thanks so much for any advice you give.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by mgrenadier | Adobe Community Professional

and if you choose a format that supports transparency, you can use that to superimpose over live video.  

Topics

Crash, Effects and Titles, Export, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

first, Please tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card.  and tell us your source properties and your sequence settings.   If you're happy with the way the slides look, you can export the frame from premiere and replace the slide in the timeline.  This will remove any excess calls on your system resources.  But I think something else is going on.  If you want help figuring out what's wrong, answer the questions and we'll dig in to it...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mgrenadier,

You're a hardcore dude cruising the forums on a Sunday (my time)!

CPU Intel i7-8700K 3.7GHz,

RAM 32GB (24GB dedicated to PP),

OS & PP on Samsung SSD 970 EVO 250GB

Scratch & Project on Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB

GPU GTX1060 6GB driver 

Windows 10 Home v10.0.19041

Premiere v14.3.1

I have a ticket with the Adobe techs so I didn't want to waste anyone's time here seeking assistance on the export crashing issue. I just wanted to improve my workflow.

The Adobe techs discovered I had a faulty RAM stick (now replaced) & some faulty Windows files which I identified & repaired. I posted the procedure I used to identify & repair those files on the Community & I recall you took note of it.

Despite these fixes I'm still getting an error "A font that is required for this export has changed. Please restart the render." clicking OK crashses PP then I have to log back into CC again.

So I'm wondering whether the Pros create a slide like the following in PP, AI or PS?

richardb29882897_0-1596938614702.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in NYC so it's still Saturday and I have to launch a Vimeo Video on Demand at midnight.  Much more complicated than it should be...  

I don't really have much experience with ai but plenty with photoshop and I think this would be a little easier to do in photoshop.   And if you have a change in the text, you can select the clip in the timeline and edit it in photoshop and the clip in premiere updates.  I used to just be an editor, but nowadays, I'm an audio guy, a special effects guy, a graphics guy, a colorist...  May not be the greatest at any of them, but I keep my head above water...  at least most of the time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather than dip to black, I tend to use a simple opacity change on my titles. Don't know if that makes much difference.

The font thing ... sometimes you need to check that all the fonts involved are 'activated' in the CC app. They instituted a new process, where if something hasn't been used for a while it may be deactivated. So ... check the fonts in the project and the CC app fonts section.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and maybe not a bad idea to export a still image of the title and put that on top of the text clip so if necessary you can delete the text clip if you get the font warning...  Since I'm usually exporting a still image to send to clients for review, I usually have them on hand...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect most people who give up on Premiere do so because poor workflow is making their lives challenging. Thanks for your help sharpening up my workflow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mgrendadier you rock!

I want to quantify here outcomes of the advice you gave me compared to my old approach which I got off YouTube.

An example of my old approach was to get a black video layer, then on one video track insert 4 text statements, on another track insert one .AI logo & on another track insert one .PNG logo. I wanted to test your advice so made a 45 second title with my old approach & ran an export test of this title as VBR 2 Pass H.264. The export took 45 minutes!

I used your approach exporting one frame as a .PNG then reimported it and dragged it out to 45 sec in length to match my old approach test. The extra steps you suggested took me (as a relative newby) 3 mins including some quick Googling to confirm I understood. I then ran a VBR 2 Pass H.264 export and it took 6 seconds!

This reinforces my thinking that many people give up on Premiere because of bad Workflows that put our systems under excessive pressure.

Thanks so much for your awesome advice.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good advice. I'll check out the opacity change and absolutely be checking the fonts for activation in CC. Thanks for your assistance.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2. Best is to use a cross dissolve instead of a dip to black. Dip to black is not suited as a single sided transition.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ann, you're so helpful on the Community forums. Based on yours & R_Neil_Haugen's advice I'm going to trade Dip to Black for Cross Dissolve immediately. I really appreciate your time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines