Highlighted

What is the best setup for Premier Pro?

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just learning and using Premier Pro for about 3 weeks now. It is slow, lagging, and my playback screen lags, the sound lags. Its aggrevating. I click on items and then I see it takes minutes to do what I have asked it to do. 

Is there a certain graphics card, or set up I need? 

If I would need to get a new laptop what would be the best setup for Premier Pro and After Effects? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thank you so much! 

TOPICS
Freeze or hang, Hardware or GPU, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

What is the best setup for Premier Pro?

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just learning and using Premier Pro for about 3 weeks now. It is slow, lagging, and my playback screen lags, the sound lags. Its aggrevating. I click on items and then I see it takes minutes to do what I have asked it to do. 

Is there a certain graphics card, or set up I need? 

If I would need to get a new laptop what would be the best setup for Premier Pro and After Effects? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thank you so much! 

TOPICS
Freeze or hang, Hardware or GPU, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 23, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you edit H.264? Your best bet is to get at least an 8 core CPU with hyper threading and 32 GB of RAM.  An Nvida RTX 2070 and i9 9900k would be a decent setup. If you can only afford a six core CPU get an RTX 2060. You have to have a well matched system. Don't get an 8 Core CPU and a GTX 1050. That being said don't get an RTX 2080 Ti and a quad core CPU. You need the performance of the CPU and GPU to match.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2020 2
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the specs of your computer? Especially RAM and processor and hard drive?

What files are you using inside Premiere (especially video files)?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 24, 2020 1
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer,, old.. like 10 years. 

Is there a comparable laptop to purchase? For 2020 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 28, 2020 0
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We'd need more specifics, like amount of RAM and processor.

If you're planning on using Premiere 2020, you'd need at least 8GB of RAM (16GB recommended) and a fast processor, I'd say at least i5 with i7 being better.

If you want to purchase a laptop it depends how much money you want to spend 😉

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an example, I use a three year old Surface Pro 5 and Premiere is really fast. I can't complain. It does everythng.

Here's a video I did of my Surface Pro 5 with Premiere and After Effects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPRhyLAJaWM

This is my review of the performance of Microsoft Surface Pro 5 (2017 edition) using Adobe After Effects, Premiere Pro, and Photoshop (all CC 2020 versions).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hardware is part of the battle, but don't underestimate the effect that the types of video you work with can have on your system performance (the codecs of the media).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 24, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Phillip. H.264, the most popular format on earth, is also the most taxing on average computers. My advice is to transcode (copy) the footage to a format that is smoother and easier to operate with. I use ProRes LT for my non-commercial work. I make the files automatically in Premiere Pro Project Settings (Ingest Settngs). You can also make them in Media Encoder.

In addition to transcoding (or creating proxies - don't use H.264 as proxies), I also recommend placing your transcoded media on a separate drive than your OS drive. An attached SSD can work if it is connected via USB 3 or better.

Cheers,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 28, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 24, 2020 0