• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is this "wavy heatwave" effect and can it be removed in post?

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took several shots on a Panasonic Lumix GX80 on 4k, at 24fps and 50 shutter speed. Most of the shots I took on a tripod have this strange distortion that looks like a heatwave on them, which is absent from the handheld shots I took. I'll attach one example.

https://we.tl/t-YUad3XrCJz

As you can see, the shot is static, so I'm ruling out the rolling shutter problem common to many high-speed videos. The tripod was very cheap at it was a bit windy when I took the shot, so I assumed it was a problem with the camera shaking imperceptibly and an auto-stabiliser. As you can see at the beginning and end of the video, the tripod heavily shakes when I simply press the record button.

But are there other issues that may have caused this, such as the shutter speed? I found this post that seems to describe a problem similar to mine, but I all of the videos attached have expired so I'm not sure it's the same issue: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/wavy-4k-video/td-p/8911056?page=1

Most importantly: can I fix this on Premiere, or do I need to reshoot?

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No you cannot fix this in Premiere. Looks like rolling shutter.

Reshoot and get a sturdy tripod.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, it's what I thought: the tripod was shaking but I couldn't see it on the small camera screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is called the "jello effect". When using a tripod the image stabilizer in camera should be turned off. That may help in your case but probably not. AFAIK, there is no software that can rescue "jello effect" clips. Some CMOS cameras are very prone to this while others are not. Lot´s of info about it on any search engine. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines