Highlighted

What Mac towers are best for Adobe Premiere editing in 4k?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I heard that the older mac pro towers are actually better for premiere editing in 4k Is this true? If so which ones do you reccomend? It would be grea to buy something old(ish) and second hand - to save money. What memory/ram - for the best results? I currently cut on a Mac book pro laptop with 16 GB memory and with 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 ... but it's mostly way too slow for 4k. Any advice much appriecated. Ross 

TOPICS
Editing, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

What Mac towers are best for Adobe Premiere editing in 4k?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I heard that the older mac pro towers are actually better for premiere editing in 4k Is this true? If so which ones do you reccomend? It would be grea to buy something old(ish) and second hand - to save money. What memory/ram - for the best results? I currently cut on a Mac book pro laptop with 16 GB memory and with 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 ... but it's mostly way too slow for 4k. Any advice much appriecated. Ross 

TOPICS
Editing, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 15, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not sure that's true.  There are 2 thing in particular to look at for:  the processor speed (including number of cores) and the graphics card.  Both things are going to be faster in a newer machine and will probably have a longer life as premiere increases the minimum specs for hardware.  I'm guessing the new macpro is gonna be too expensive (it is for me) but make sure you have adequate RAM - I'd guess 32 gigs as a minimum although at this point, premiere will run with 16 gigs.  More would be better.  The real problem with new macs except for the updated macpro is that you cannot upgrade them.  graphics card and RAM have to be installed when you buy the computer.  You cannot upgrade them later.  IMHO, this sucks, bwdik...    This is why I've been transitioning to the darkside (windows) using a custom built machine which allows me to add RAM, internal drives and the graphics card for much less than a comparable mac...  Lots of stuff in windows makes me crazy but pretty much all the software I use is available for both platforms...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2020 0