• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What's The Difference Between a Subclip And a Duplicate?

Engaged ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to Premiere Pro CC 2020 and have been going through an essential training video via LinkedIn Learning. The instructor goes over subclips in one video and, in another one, shows how to make a duplicate of a master clip. Both show that you can create in and outpoints, apply effects, but other than that, I'm not sure what the difference is. Can someone explain why I would want to make one versus the other?

It's only an island if you look at it from the water.
TOPICS
Editing , How to , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

A subclip is simply a section of the full clip. Set by in/out points, and it shares the Master Clip of the original full clip. The Master Clip data is what Premiere stores on that clip, its properties, audio settings, uses, and of course any effects applied to the Master Clip tab of that clip used on any sequence. Which will be applied to all other users (including subclips) of that clip on other sequences.

A duplicate clip is a separate listing of the clip in the Premiere database, and theref

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A subclip is simply a section of the full clip. Set by in/out points, and it shares the Master Clip of the original full clip. The Master Clip data is what Premiere stores on that clip, its properties, audio settings, uses, and of course any effects applied to the Master Clip tab of that clip used on any sequence. Which will be applied to all other users (including subclips) of that clip on other sequences.

A duplicate clip is a separate listing of the clip in the Premiere database, and therefore has a separate Master Clip reference.

So you can apply different effects in the Master Clip tab of a duplicated clip without affecting the other instance of that clip in the project. And set the properties for that clip differently if you wish.

This is especially useful for applying different things to the complex media such as many RAW and Log formats where their manufacturers provide for options to modify the clip via the Master Clip tab on a sequence. For my BlackMagic RAW files, that includes ISO, color science, and many other things.

In a single use of the clip in the project, anything I set in the MasterClip controls for the view of that image apply to all uses of the clip.

If I want a different look to a section of that clip, I can simply "duplicate" the clip in the project panel, and apply different settings in the Master Clip controls for BMRAW without affecting the use of the clip from the other instance.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU! From another new user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines