Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What should I consider when buying an external blu ray burner

Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I understood that I need a 3rd party tool to create DVD menus and to burn them on disks. However, I am a newbie and I am wondering what are the things I need to consider when buying an external blu ray burner. I am on a mac and I plan to burn 4k videos - sometimes it can vary though. I have no idea what encoding like H.264, H.264 Blu-ray or MPEG2 etc. I have to use / be aware of.

I don't need top notch hardware for hundreds of euros because it's for personal usage. For example when I am old and want to watch vacations from the last decades 🙂 

Looking forward for any tip. As I am a newbie I have troubles to determine what exactly I have to google for - I tried some but the result was not satisfying.

Alex

TOPICS
Export , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're actually looking for a Ultra HD burner, not BD.

Even though I still make BDs, I gave up worrying about burning UHD. I load them up on my home NAS and stream to the TV.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the response. Yeah, while streaming does has it's advantage, it relies on having a good connection and cannot be shared that easily. Advantage I see in using disks is that I can burn them either once, for my own or if necessary for family & friends when we travelled together. I am aware that it's possible to provide a setup that allows others to watch from own systems but this needs to be maintained. Plus the more content I have, the more disk space I need.

In regards of UHD burner vs. BD, makes sense. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines