• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What the heck is an 8bit codec in Premiere?

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot find any information of how to export a sequence in 8bit on Premiere

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why are you trying to do this?  if you're trying to deliver to a certain specification, please give us more detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent my short film to a colourist. It was shot in 8bit. When he returned the file he told me to export in 8bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

using mediainfo 

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

please tell us the specs of your source clip. In particular the codec

if you hover your mouse over the video section, you'll see a list of all the info.  If you can post a screen grab, that would be ideal.  I

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 12.38.32 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use MEDIAINFO (as requested) and post in TREEVIEW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Premiere doesn't have quite the same export options setup as Resolve. Including for setting specific bit-depths.

Within Premiere's processing pipelines, media is handled from the original metadata in the project panel through the sequence to export. All media on a sequence is handled by Premiere in the bit-depth it is in (there's no sequence bit-depth) and all media is processed in 32 bit float unless you apply an old 8-bit color/tonal effect, at which point it drops your processing into 8 bit.

At export, you select a format/codec and Premiere simply uses the bit-depth of that format/codec combination, taking the 32-bit float it's been working the media in to the bit-depth of the export. Some format/codecs are by the standard of that format/codec specific bit depths, many can hold variuos bit depths. Most ProRes for example can be up to 10 bit, some 12 or higher.

So you don't specify the bit-depth on export. Use the preferred format/codec that you wish for the deliverable needed.

And ... I am a contributing author for a pro colorist teaching subscription website, where most members are based in Resolve though many work in Avid, Baselight, or even Mistika. And from much association with that crowd ... I found his comment somewhat ... odd. I don't understand why he gave that instruction.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines