• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Whats are best new project settings for HD youtube and vimeo?

Contributor ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm beginning the biggest project I've done in PP - a 3 minute video portfolio, and I'm looking for recommendations for the best settings to start with that might serve me well /be unlikely to cause grief for the next 5 years at least.

I'll export versions for Vimeo and Youtube as well as my own portfolio site. I don't need help exporting.

Choosing one from all the new project settings is confusing - I don't know which works best for what. All I know is 1920x1080 would be good but not sure about frame rate (or other concerns?).  I'll be importing some cell phone footage, but mostly this video will be static images in motion with voiceover. (I could do most of it in AfterEffects but I like PP).

I don't want to be finishing in a few weeks and find it was a mistake to choose HDV 1080i v. HDV 1080p, or choose 23.97fps or 29 fps instead of 30 or 24fps..

LMK if I need to provide more info.... thx

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 12.10.57 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-16 at 12.11.08 PM.png

TOPICS
Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Choosing one from all the new project settings is confusing - I don't know which works best for what.

By @TheOriginal150mph

The only things that matters is the correct frame size, the correct frame rate and the correct aspect ratio. If you have 1920x1080, 23,976 fps, 1.0 PAR that´s what you want your timeline to be. There is no setting for "best" or "better than..." quality. If you however have 1920x1080, 23,976 footage and put it on a 720x576, 25 timeline you will loose quality. Always aim

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked the destination sites to see what they want?

For example... go to Google and enter

youtube video requirements 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did, and it sent me here 😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Choosing one from all the new project settings is confusing - I don't know which works best for what.

By @TheOriginal150mph

The only things that matters is the correct frame size, the correct frame rate and the correct aspect ratio. If you have 1920x1080, 23,976 fps, 1.0 PAR that´s what you want your timeline to be. There is no setting for "best" or "better than..." quality. If you however have 1920x1080, 23,976 footage and put it on a 720x576, 25 timeline you will loose quality. Always aim for the sequence settings that matches your footage. When using Presets i often choose from the Canon XF MPEG2 or Digital SLR, or use the Settings tab and set everything manually.

So you must know your footage´s properties to get it right.

Selecting the preview codec is only important if you will render effects on the timeline that are too heavy to playback in realtime and when you use those renders to speed up the final export. The latter is not a must.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

^ Hard to add more than this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I guess what most concerns me is the most usable and forgiving frame rate for my needs - web delivery. I would guess if I used 30fps, it might be better in the future if I needed PP to convert and export, for example, to a slower frame rate, rather than starting with 23,976 and converting it to 30.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don´t know what your needs are, but you won´t gain anything if you per your example convert 23.976 to 30 fps. The result will be the look of 23.976 in a 30 fps video stream. It won´t be more fluid just by choose a higher frame rate when exporting. Unless, you are mixing fram rates on the timeline. Then it can and will make a difference, but 23.976 will still look like 23.976 even if you export it as 60 fps.

To meet your needs you must choose the frame rate when shooting. If you want smooth motion, use a higher frame rate. If you want more stutter, choose a slower frame rate when shooting. Planning is the keyword here. 🙂

For web delivery you can use all common frame rates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the great info and taking the time to reply!

I already started the project with the default settings from dropping an iPhone vid (scrncap) into the timeline - 30fps, 1920x1080, Square pixels, 48,000Hz audio sample rate - when it occurred to me I might have trouble down the road because I'm just a PP hobbyist atm, and it might be necessary in the future for some reason IDK why to convert frame rate or pixel dimension.

I know more is better. I would never set up a 23,976 project knowing in the future I'd need to export 30fps. But converting 30 to 23,976 seems like it would be more forgiving - ie, fewer glitches. Unlikely I'll need to do this, so just curious...

I don´t know what your needs are...

My needs are  - web delivery on YT, Vimeo and my own site.

With web delivery, file size vs streaming/buffering have been issues in the past, although universal broadband is changing things. And since this is a portfolio vid, I want to setup the PP doc with the highest practical resolution that keeps my needs in mind.

Also, Im unclear on the significance - for my needs - of Square Pixels 1.0 vs. any other kind.

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 2.38.41 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quoteMy needs are  - web delivery on YT, Vimeo and my own site.

By @TheOriginal150mph

If the goal is to deliver to YT/Vimeo fram rate is nothing to worry about. They take the frame rate you upload. Using 23.976 will be ok, so is 60. Converting frame rates is something you do when you have no other option than to do it, when there is a need for it. That´s the only time one to do that.

You do however have a good reason to convert your iPhone footage to a constant frame rate before you start to edit it. All smartphones record using variable frame rate. Variable frame rate+Premiere Pro do many times cause issues such as audio drift in the exported media. Premiere Pro wants constant frame rate.

This can be done with a freeware app named HandBrake. How to: Tutorial: How to Restore AV Sync to Variable Frame Rate Video for Editing in Premiere Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok good to know thanks. Ive used Handbrake for years but not for that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines