• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When creating a new title in the new caption tool, it jumps to the start of the list... every time

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I find the right place on the timeline to add the next title, I press the "+" button in the new captions tool window (the window is actually called "Text"). This adds a new title at the desired location on the timeline. The title is also added at the bottom of the list in the "Text" window where I can edit the contents of each caption title. Only problem is, the list is reset to the top every time, which means I have to scroll down manually to the end of the list to find my new title and edit it. Even though the text in this newly created title is selected by default, I can't simply begin typing to jump down to it in the list, as those keystrokes will instead be interpreted as kyeboard shortcut commands by the program. If I do scroll down so that the new title, and selected text, is visible on screen, I can type to replace the text...

Is it a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Known issue. Upvote this bug report:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/42936765-please-prevent-the-new-captions-text-window-from

When I updated to 15.1, I was not able to replicate this, but I did not try very hard. I wonder if it has been changed. Anyone else try this?

In any event, see this link for an improved workflow:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/captions-window-needs-to-be-scrolled-down-for-every-single-caption-premiere-pro-15-0/m-p/11917033#M336718

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Known issue. Upvote this bug report:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/42936765-please-prevent-the...

When I updated to 15.1, I was not able to replicate this, but I did not try very hard. I wonder if it has been changed. Anyone else try this?

In any event, see this link for an improved workflow:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/captions-window-needs-to-be-scrolled-down-for-every-sing...

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan, I think you might be right - it very well might be fixed in 15.1.  But, like you, I didn't test it very thoroughly.

I still advocate for bypassing the Text pane altogether by using the following workflow:

1. Program a keyboard shortcut for "edit selected caption text" (I programmed as ctrl-alt-x)
  2. With playhead in position for new caption, hit ctrl-alt-c
  3. Caption text box is created on timeline and selected
  4. Then hit ctrl-alt-x (or whatever you set as the shortcut) to bring up an edit box in the Program pane.  Program pane is made active after this action
  5. Enter text manually, or copy and paste from transcript
  6. Drag length of caption box on timeline to appropriate length, then repeat for next caption
  7. Carry on without ever having to interact with the text pane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you guys, I will try updating to 15.1.

- - -

That's a good suggestion @Matt Young 

The Text pane is pretty tedious. I keep trying to select a whole caption text by holding shift and pressing the up arrow, as I would have done in any other text editor, but this doesn't select the text, it selects the entire caption in the list, and the one above it... So to move within an individual caption text, you're only allowed to use the left and right arrows. Although, I have to say I was very pleased to find the home and end buttons finaly working within the text, and not going to the first and last caption in the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt, I completely agree that the workflow you laid out is the better method.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated, and voila, it solved the problem.

Found a new one though, quite often it's impossible to double click on a title in the Text pane to edit it, nothing happens. I have to go in and out of the Text pane, selcting other things and double clicking on a title in the timeline before I can actually edit the title in the Text pane... Seems like another bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Monitor Marketing Hmm...I'm not seeing that in 15.1.  I'm able to double click a caption in the text panel and it becomes editable every time. 

One quirk I did notice just now while testing your double-click issue: the text panel will always automatically center on the caption that the playhead is on in the timeline.  So, if you scrub the playhead to a spot on the timeline, the caption at that point will automatically scroll to the center of the text panel.  That's all well and good, but if you click on a caption block in another part of the timeline without moving the playhead, that caption will become selected in the text panel but it won't center on it.  You have to scroll through the captions to find it, or move the playhead to it in the timeline.

I think I'll stick with my ctrl-alt-x shortcut and edit in the program window!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines