Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

when ingesting for proxies no hardware encoding

Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am trying to create proxies for 4K 60fps footage. I have created an ingest preset that should transcode to 1080p H264 proxies, but when its encoding the proxies, it does not use the GPU at all, although I have this specifically set to Hardware Encoding in the preset.

Please help me solve this because my workflow now takes way to long.

I am using an iMac Pro 8 Core Xeon 80 GB RAM, with an AMD VEGA 64 (16 GB Ram) GPU.

Rick

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , Import , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typically, when creating proxies, one wants them for better playback, which is not what you get with a long-GOP format like H.264. Small file size, yea, but harder on the computer for playback than say ProResLT or a Cineform.

So ... what is the reason you are using proxies?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

This is because although I have such a beast of a system mentioned earlier, it seems not capable of smooth playback of 4K 60 fps h264 or hevc footage (from dji mavic air 2). It is very jerky and choppy.

Best regards,

Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro takes the faster GPU for the scaling operation from 4K to 1080, which would be used regardless of your choice of codecs for proxies. Often, the GPU used for scaling is the Intel iGPU and not your discrete AMD GPU.

Wot??

Right. That freaks a lot of people out since they look to the discrete GPU to judge overall system performance related to GPU acceleration (wrongly). Don't let it freak you out. Premiere Pro handles this "choice" automagically. In other words, long haird stuff beyond our paygrade. The discrete GPU is used quite a bit for some things, just not what you'd always expect.

You may want to transcode these files directly to ProRes LT and avoid proxies altogether. It's a simpler workflow and offers the ability to use Smart Rendering, a lightning quick way to export as it uses your render files for export purposes. Awesome.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Kevin,

This system does only have a dedicated GPU, the AMD Vega 64, there is no other gpu.

In my tests it does not use the gpu at all when transcoding. it uses the CPU only.

That said, when rendering out the final project, it does use the GPU.

Rick

PS. I will try the prores lt ingest preset to see if that helps. I will come back to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines