• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Which Apple ProRes preset for final film delivery?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.  I have edited a film natively in Premiere Pro (H264 .mp4) and colour graded it.  I now need to export it for a festival and they want Apple ProRes (max 8GB).  H264 is an 8-bit codec so I think AppleProRes 422 HQ will be a good choice, but given I have graded it, do you think it is worth me considering Apple ProRes 4444?  Thank you!

TOPICS
Export , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

No, as that would have helped as a capture codec but cannot give any added color depth to that which wasn't there to begin with.

If you start with 8 bit capture, that's all you ever have through the whole project, really. You can't recreate what wasn't captured.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, as that would have helped as a capture codec but cannot give any added color depth to that which wasn't there to begin with.

If you start with 8 bit capture, that's all you ever have through the whole project, really. You can't recreate what wasn't captured.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that is very helpful!  Just wanted to be sure 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Neil said, you cannot increase the quality by switching to a higher level codec. This is akin to using a DSLR to take a photo of a printed copy. The quality doesn't improve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for tthis.  It was the fact that I had colour graded the footage that made me question whether I should choose APR444 but I think I am just altering the colours that are there, I haven't created any extra 'shades' as it were!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. When we do color/tonal work, we take what is already there and stretch values here to compress values there. We can't add new values, new data. Just change where the RGB references to where the current pixels are mapped to

It's why originally capturing the clips in higher bit-depth can provide such immediate image quality boost. Because we have more pixels than we must to have a smooth image in gradations, we can do much more pushing things around before we can see artifacts and banding.

But once captured, you're only working with what's already there.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK perfect, thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question guys!  Makes 100% sense 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines