Highlighted

Why 6-core Macbook pro performs better than 3rd gen 12-core Ryzen?

New Here ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacBook Pro specs

CPU: 2.6 GHz 6-core intel core i7

Memory: 32GB 2400 MHz DDR4

GPU: Radeon Pro Vega 16 4 GB

PC Specs

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x (overclocked to 4.3 all cores) [stable]

- Water-cooled and running at a cool 67 C under full load

Memory: 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 G.Skill

GPU: GTX 1070 8GB

Boot drive: Samsung Evo 256 GB SSD

Media Drive: 1TB NVMe SSD (Samsung Evo)

Cache Drive: 256GB WD SSD

I am editing a project using Canon C200 Cinema RAW Light footage. On my Desktop PC, scrubbing through the timeline and playback is a PAIN (choppy, audio drops, laggy interface, and all the other fun things). If I put the same footage on my 6 core MacBook pro, it's like I'm scrubbing through 720P footage (smooth as butter). 

I've heard rumors that this is because Adobe tailors to Mac due to the limited hardware mac uses (it's easier for Adobe to code for), vs. Adobe just "making it work" on PC due to the vast number of configurations one could use to build a PC. Is this true, and I'm just screwed using a PC, or do I have some seriously wrong configurations?

Please let there be someone out there who knows the magic to making these larger bitrate files run smoothly on Premiere (besides the obvious: proxy files).

Thanks everyone

So... I tried to find this forum and delete it before anyone posted on it because it was a COMPLETE OVERSIGHT on my part. I could have sworn I pulled the .CRM files off the NAS and onto my M.2 drive..... but I didn't.... So THAT'S why it was performing so badly. After I realized it and placed the files on the proper drive and linked them to the ones in the project, it ran like a dream. 

So, I am admittedly the moron in this situation. haha! 

But to respond to your post about AMD vs Intel, AMD in their 3rd gen have risen to the occasion to put Intel on their butts. Prior to that, I COMPLETELY agree with you. That's why I was so infuriated that my rig wasn't performing like I KNEW it could. But my rig was doing just fine the entire time..... my brain just wasn't. 

Thanks for reaching out though and responding. Community is what makes it happen. Have a great one.

Topics

Editing, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Why 6-core Macbook pro performs better than 3rd gen 12-core Ryzen?

New Here ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacBook Pro specs

CPU: 2.6 GHz 6-core intel core i7

Memory: 32GB 2400 MHz DDR4

GPU: Radeon Pro Vega 16 4 GB

PC Specs

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x (overclocked to 4.3 all cores) [stable]

- Water-cooled and running at a cool 67 C under full load

Memory: 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 G.Skill

GPU: GTX 1070 8GB

Boot drive: Samsung Evo 256 GB SSD

Media Drive: 1TB NVMe SSD (Samsung Evo)

Cache Drive: 256GB WD SSD

I am editing a project using Canon C200 Cinema RAW Light footage. On my Desktop PC, scrubbing through the timeline and playback is a PAIN (choppy, audio drops, laggy interface, and all the other fun things). If I put the same footage on my 6 core MacBook pro, it's like I'm scrubbing through 720P footage (smooth as butter). 

I've heard rumors that this is because Adobe tailors to Mac due to the limited hardware mac uses (it's easier for Adobe to code for), vs. Adobe just "making it work" on PC due to the vast number of configurations one could use to build a PC. Is this true, and I'm just screwed using a PC, or do I have some seriously wrong configurations?

Please let there be someone out there who knows the magic to making these larger bitrate files run smoothly on Premiere (besides the obvious: proxy files).

Thanks everyone

So... I tried to find this forum and delete it before anyone posted on it because it was a COMPLETE OVERSIGHT on my part. I could have sworn I pulled the .CRM files off the NAS and onto my M.2 drive..... but I didn't.... So THAT'S why it was performing so badly. After I realized it and placed the files on the proper drive and linked them to the ones in the project, it ran like a dream. 

But to respond to your post about AMD vs Intel, AMD in their 3rd gen have risen to the occasion to put Intel on their butts. Prior to that, I COMPLETELY agree with you. That's why I was so infuriated that my rig wasn't performing like I KNEW it could. But my rig was doing just fine the entire time..... my brain just wasn't. 

Thanks for reaching out though and responding. Community is what makes it happen. Have a great one.

Topics

Editing, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to boil down to AMD vs Intel rather than Windows vs Mac OS X.

For a long time there have been many posts here in the forum with new AMD Ryzen builds that perform badly with Premiere Pro compared to lower speced Intel builds. Based on what i read and have read here i would personally never buy a computer with an AMD processor if i intend to use it with Premiere Pro. There are just too many horror stories with top speced computers with AMD Ryzen that struggle with Premiere Pro though the specs, number of cores and CPU speed, looks great.

I have no knowledge of the "why" or "why not" behind this. 

Do you have a clip that you have problem with that you can share so i can test it on an Intel processor? (Intel Xeon W-2245) If you don´t want to share it here you can send me a PM with a link to me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AJS,

I am so glad you are happy with your computer purchase. I would consider one of those machines, as well, but I use a lot of H.264 and HEVC, and for that, I need Quick Sync. If I had a different workflow, then AMD would definitely be a contender.

Best Wishes,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am glad you found out it was the hard drive. Intel's Quick Sync is awesome if you have a dual core or quad core CPU but a 12 core Intel CPU probably would not be any better than a 12 core AMD CPU for playback of H.264. It is just a guess since I don't have either.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines