• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why are some of my clips so CPU intensive and others aren't

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, apoligies I'm not familiar with the jargon in Premiere Pro. I am doing a large timeline in a project by adding various mp4 clips. When I add each clip I scroll through the clip in the timeline and edit. The problem is some clips that I add to the timeline scroll with ease (and don't seem to tax my cpu at all) which is great, but other clips I add make my CPU usage go right up and it is very "sticky" to scroll through the timeline in them - eg I'm dragging the mouse along the timeline and it stops being smooth and starts jerking and the CPU goes crazy. I can't see any difference between the various clips that I add so I'm not sure why some scroll with ease and others are like treacle. It makes it very labor intensive to scroll through these clips as I have to go really slowly so the CPU keeps up whereas other clips I can scroll really fast and smooth.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

TOPICS
Editing , Hardware or GPU , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Likely, your CPU-intensive clips is of different (more compressed) codec, or different (higher) resolution. Try to turn off 'continuous video thumbnails', should help. But if you can't give up on this -  transcoding into intermediate codec(Prores, DNxHR, Cineform) or using proxy is way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Likely, your CPU-intensive clips is of different (more compressed) codec, or different (higher) resolution. Try to turn off 'continuous video thumbnails', should help. But if you can't give up on this -  transcoding into intermediate codec(Prores, DNxHR, Cineform) or using proxy is way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that helped speed it up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I made a video about your issues a couple of days ago. Premiere Pro has to do the redraws in order to play. That is bad coding. That being said Premiere Pro should probably use the GPU for the redraws/refresh not the CPU. We need to make a feature request to the use the GPU and not the CPU. If anyone else is wonder how continous frames affects performance feel frree to watch the video below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines