• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't I choose 1/4 playback resolution? It's grayed out on the choice menu.

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes the 1/4 playback resolution option is clickable, and sometimes it's grayed out.  Why is this?

I'm assembling a choir video with 9 singers. If I use 1/2 or Full, there's a LOT of lagging and so forth.

FYI:

Macbook Pro with Mojave, 

2.9 GHz Intel Core i5

Thanks!

TOPICS
Editing , Freeze or hang , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue.  Usually I always have the option but for some reason I suddenly do not.Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 6.39.35 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Standard definition and HD might not allow for 1/4 resolution during playback. I know 4K will. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never noticed that!

An SD sequence allows Full and 1/2; HD - full, 1/2 and 1/4. 4K adds 1/8.

I don't know if there are other factors that affect this.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah 4k allows 1/8. 1080 should allow 1/4. The fix I had for this was to make a 4k timeline and import 1080 into it. Scale 200% to fit, and then exported at 1080. This will however limit some plugins like tracking in AE. To track you will have to scale to 100% in PR then export link to AE for it to work, then Scale back to 200% after exporting back to PR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jordan,

It's the footage that usually allows for various fractional resolutions. If I ever have perforamance issues, I'll transcode or make proxies. I would think that those choices might be easier for you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I never really have a problem with resolution or needing to make proxies. My comp is running multiple clips fine, this was just stemming from a mistake I made importing a 1080 clip into a 4k comp and found out it gave me the option to go to 1/8th so i used it. But if you can take a look at the rotobrush issue that has been posted here with new updates past 18.1 that would be great! thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel,

I suspect your computer is not powerful enough to handle so many streams of H.264 video, which I assume you are editing with. H.264 also has limited fractional resolutions, offering you fewer options.

More fractional resolutions and better performance if you transcodeMore fractional resolutions and better performance if you transcode

When I am faced with this situation, I would transcode (copy) footage to ProRes LT in Media Encoder. With my UHD (4K) footage, I was able to get 1/8 resolution with the bonus of excellent performance (see screenshot).

From the screenshot, you can see I only need 1/2 res to play back ProRes LT 4K footage smoothly on my computer.

If I was going to edit a multicamera sequence, I'd optimize the media before editing. By optimizing, I mean either transcoding or creating proxies (More info here: Proxy Workflow). This one extra step (optimizing footage) makes life so much easier as an editor.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines