• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why Does Copy And Paste In Premiere Pro perform so poorly?

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain why you can't copy and paste footage (audio and/or video) into a chosen track on a sequence? It almost always pastes into a track with footage already there overlapping footage. It can't paste into a new track??? I thought this is simple logic.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Same way i explained in first post, make sure the track is selected.

Select clip,

Crtl+C,

Switch sequence,

Select track, place playhead in desired position

Ctrl+V (or Ctrl+Shift+V for insert).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Hey there – you might have luck by learning about track targeting! If I'm not paying attention to my targets, my timeline gets real messy real quick. 

Hope this helps!

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

FIXED my issue.  I was pasting a copied clip from another sequence, and although I had the track toggeled to the correct video track I wanted it to go, it would paste to the same track assignment from the original sequence. if I clicked paste from the edit drop down menu it would paste to the correctly assigned track, but using ctrl+v it would go to the original assigned track from the original sequence. I went to drop down menu EDIT >keyboard shortcuts> when the keyboard menu opens highlight th

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just can't get this to work. Here are some screenshots:

One, I select and copy the object:

1.png

Now I select the track where I want it to go:

2.png

Now I paste, and it never goes where I want it to go. This has NEVER worked for me:

3.png

Any help would be awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 14, 2017 Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you lock all video tracks except V8? Will it finally paste there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll take a look (at both). Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me too.  it's such a pain in the ass!  I have 27 tracks right now and it insists on pasting all over the place.  Even with a giant monitor, it takes forever to drag clips from T1 to T24. and locking all the track is just annoying...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't the answer to the paste problem you're experiencing but you can (maybe) move your clips up/down the timeline faster by holding down Open (Mac) / Alt (Win) and pressing the up/down arrow keys.

Rearrange clips in a Premiere Pro sequence

https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/quick-tip-nudge-clips-in-premiere-pro/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's how I have to paste everything. Lock every layer but the one I want to paste on. So I just keep all layers locked except for the one I'm working with. Otherwise, I have to scroll to the end of the timeline, paste, then move what I pasted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We recently published a tutorial on sync locking and track targeting, so I'm adding a link to this thread to help anyone who might be confused by how copy/paste works: Streamline editing with timeline-based techniques

(Apologies if you already know this info by heart and still have problems copying/pasting clips on the timeline.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link. Watching it now. I think someone already posted this in another thread -- but I hate video tutorials. I hate sitting through content I don't care about, chatty stuff, waiting for what I need when I could scan and read an article in a tiny fraction of the time. Ooooooh, I take that back ... I just noticed those little blue dots with labels! And ... learned some really useful stuff I've been wanting to know -- thanks. None of it addressed the pasting issue, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance you could post a video of how copy/paste is not working for you, despite the proper use of track targeting in your sequence?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on the latest version of PrP and I'm having the same issue.

On the left, I select V3 or A2 or whatever, but when I paste in (copying a clip from another project), it just always puts it on V1, overwriting what I have there. So yeah, look at the forums, find this one from 9 months ago and I'm having exactly the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you target the track and put the cti in the desired position?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you mean by cti.

Here is a screenshot. I selected the "Whatdafun" audio clip you can see on A3 on the far left

I then have the A3 row selected but everytime I press Ctrl+V, it always adds it to A1.

Now, I know here I can just alt+click drag to copy it, but lets say I'm copying a clip from another project, so I need to copy and paste

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off A1 & A2 track targeting (the blue squares).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Yairb" is right. Most of us don't really think of how to use those targeting controls to speed things along ... paying a little attention to them as your projects get more 'dense' is a great use of time ... it will speed things along nicely.

You can even set keyboard shortcuts to toggle specific targets on/off, so you don't even need the mouse to shift where things will "land". In the Keyboard shortcuts dialog (Ctrl/Alt/K) just put "targ" in the search box, the various available shorts that you can select to use will appear.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

source patching.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Got it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PP really really really really needs a paste "feature" that is more intuitive, and more like every other program in existence.

PP should know the intended paste-target of the user either by last-clicked in the timeline or left-side or some left-side checkbox/icon. The UI would the show this target track highlighted or something, then when user pastes, the clip is where the user expects it to be.

Right now, we must untarget all but the target track first? I don't run this program every day, but cannot understand how Adobe engineers arrived at this UX choice.

It really wastes a lot of time for a lot of people, obviously from this and countless other threads. Until PP users finally get fed-up and look up this problem, users are flummoxed by clips always pasting over the worst possible track-choice with no apparent control over whey they paste.

I would have expected better for my $650/year (we all used to pay about $700 every 2-3 years for actual feature updates).

Of course, when this finally get added, Adobe will be sure to promote it as a "new and exciting feature" along with the other list of yawn-triggering bullet-point bug-fixes sold as "features."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go  to drop down menu EDIT >keyboard shortcuts> when the keyboard menu opens highlight the CTRL button, then the V button. At the bottom to the right it will show what's assigned. Mine had +PASTE and +PASTE TO SAME TRACK. I removed the latter and VIOLA no more issue with pasting to the wrong track!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try going  to drop down menu EDIT >keyboard shortcuts> when the keyboard menu opens highlight the CTRL button, then the V button. At the bottom to the right it will show what's assigned. Mine had +PASTE and +PASTE TO SAME TRACK. I removed the latter and VIOLA no more issue with pasting to the wrong track!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

God, it's so insane, isn't it? All the effort that goes into finding workarounds. Why do we pay for a half functional program? Gerard2526083737yj pointed out that it works properly but only from edit menu, and not from cmd+v, T...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Continue reading my post. Ctl+v worked after changing the keyboard shortcut settings. I agree it frustrating when work arounds sometimes need to be applied. Designed features should be intuitive to the end-users. Remove the "paste to same track" will have copied material pasted to the targeted track.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Get Outlook for Android<>

This message and its attachments may contain legally privileged or confidential information. It is intended solely for the named addressee(s). If you are not an addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to an addressee), you may not copy or deliver this message or its attachments to anyone. Rather, you should permanently delete this message and its attachments and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail. Any content of this message and its attachments that does not relate to the official business of Fox Corporation, or its subsidiaries must be taken not to have been sent or endorsed by any of them. No representation is made that this email or its attachments are without defect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does alt+drag work for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.  But I've heard other users complain about that causes program to freeze after the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there – you might have luck by learning about track targeting! If I'm not paying attention to my targets, my timeline gets real messy real quick. 

Hope this helps!

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines