Highlighted

Why Does Copy And Paste In Premiere Pro perform so poorly?

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain why you can't copy and paste footage (audio and/or video) into a chosen track on a sequence? It almost always pastes into a track with footage already there overlapping footage. It can't paste into a new track??? I thought this is simple logic.

Hey there – you might have luck by learning about track targeting! If I'm not paying attention to my targets, my timeline gets real messy real quick. 

Hope this helps!

Caroline

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Why Does Copy And Paste In Premiere Pro perform so poorly?

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain why you can't copy and paste footage (audio and/or video) into a chosen track on a sequence? It almost always pastes into a track with footage already there overlapping footage. It can't paste into a new track??? I thought this is simple logic.

Hey there – you might have luck by learning about track targeting! If I'm not paying attention to my targets, my timeline gets real messy real quick. 

Hope this helps!

Caroline

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 15, 2012 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can paste in any track you want, make sure the track is selected first before you paste.

Or Alt drag to any track without selecting the track first or even to a new track.

alt dragging.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2012 3
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just changed my life!! I would always copy (command + c) and scroll all the way to the right, at the end of my timeline and then paste (command + v) and then drag it up to the track I wanted and over back to the left to where my sequence is taking place. This literally is a life-saver and time changer!! THANK YOU!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2016 2
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thnx

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2017 0
Engaged ,
Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ann...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2012 1
Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want video and audio with alt+drag.

Select clip and hit alt and hold

Drag video to desired track, hit and hold shift (dont let go of the alt)

Now go to the audio and drag this to the desired track.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2012 2
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if you have to copy and paste from one sequence to another? This alt+drag method won't work. This is why I am trying to cut+paste

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2012 0
Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same way i explained in first post, make sure the track is selected.

Select clip,

Crtl+C,

Switch sequence,

Select track, place playhead in desired position

Ctrl+V (or Ctrl+Shift+V for insert).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2012 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Mac with CC2014 copying and pasting into a selected track does not work. It insists on going to an occupied track. Even worse, I can't even see where it's going at all. The play head moves up but there's no sign of the clips.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 15, 2015 1
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By 'Targeting' the track, which is what Ann said, click the line you want the past to goto ie V1, V2, V3, A1, A2 (Note you actually click the letters noted).  I didnt it get by what she said, but it lead me to the solution.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 10, 2015 1
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked! the selecting the actual V1, V2, V3, A1, A2 worked!!! thanks reddn

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 15, 2016 0
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 15, 2016 0
Engaged ,
Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows using CC 2018 with same problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 19, 2018 0
Engaged ,
Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work for me. Using CC 2018 on Windows.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 19, 2018 0
Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 19, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EUREKA!!! I tried clicking on the v1, v2, etc as suggested. This still did not work me. Very frustrating. THEN, I decided to try renaming each audio or video track. i.e "1, 2, or 3" THIS WORKED. Now when you simply click on that track, then you paste, it places the item on that selected track. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2016 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still isn't working for me (or should I say, it's not working in the 2017 update). I clicked on the V4 (note finally realized it's "V4" to the left of what says "Video 4") and it highlighted to indicate it's the targeted track. I then hit Command-V to paste my text from another sequence and it STILL pasted into V2 (note: not sure why it's even choosing V2. V1 track is a JPEG graphic behind my actual video footage on track V2).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 05, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow-up... This is also happening if I copy a graphic from my logo Track and try to paste it into another location IN THE SAME TRACK. my logo is on V3. I copied it, made sure that same layer was targeted and pasted... clip/image appeared AGAIN on V2 overwriting my video footage.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 05, 2017 0
Advocate ,
Feb 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe should have better error messages. And better diagnostics.  I remember learning to edit and going through the same process, it was painful.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 05, 2017 0
Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be system related: I have no trouble copy/paste into the same track.

Make sure just that track is target and no other.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 06, 2017 1
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paste a screen shot of your timeline before and after the copy/pasts so we can see what's going on.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 06, 2017 0
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just can't get this to work. Here are some screenshots:

One, I select and copy the object:

1.png

Now I select the track where I want it to go:

2.png

Now I paste, and it never goes where I want it to go. This has NEVER worked for me:

3.png

Any help would be awesome!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 11, 2017 2
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you lock all video tracks except V8? Will it finally paste there?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 14, 2017 1
Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does alt+drag work for you?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 15, 2017 0
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll take a look (at both). Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 22, 2017 0
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me too.  it's such a pain in the ass!  I have 27 tracks right now and it insists on pasting all over the place.  Even with a giant monitor, it takes forever to drag clips from T1 to T24. and locking all the track is just annoying...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 23, 2017 1
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't the answer to the paste problem you're experiencing but you can (maybe) move your clips up/down the timeline faster by holding down Open (Mac) / Alt (Win) and pressing the up/down arrow keys.

Rearrange clips in a Premiere Pro sequence

https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/quick-tip-nudge-clips-in-premiere-pro/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 24, 2017 0
Engaged ,
Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's how I have to paste everything. Lock every layer but the one I want to paste on. So I just keep all layers locked except for the one I'm working with. Otherwise, I have to scroll to the end of the timeline, paste, then move what I pasted.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 19, 2018 0
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We recently published a tutorial on sync locking and track targeting, so I'm adding a link to this thread to help anyone who might be confused by how copy/paste works: Streamline editing with timeline-based techniques

(Apologies if you already know this info by heart and still have problems copying/pasting clips on the timeline.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 20, 2018 2
Engaged ,
Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link. Watching it now. I think someone already posted this in another thread -- but I hate video tutorials. I hate sitting through content I don't care about, chatty stuff, waiting for what I need when I could scan and read an article in a tiny fraction of the time. Ooooooh, I take that back ... I just noticed those little blue dots with labels! And ... learned some really useful stuff I've been wanting to know -- thanks. None of it addressed the pasting issue, though.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 01, 2018 1
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance you could post a video of how copy/paste is not working for you, despite the proper use of track targeting in your sequence?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 01, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on the latest version of PrP and I'm having the same issue.

On the left, I select V3 or A2 or whatever, but when I paste in (copying a clip from another project), it just always puts it on V1, overwriting what I have there. So yeah, look at the forums, find this one from 9 months ago and I'm having exactly the same issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2018 0
Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you target the track and put the cti in the desired position?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you mean by cti.

Here is a screenshot. I selected the "Whatdafun" audio clip you can see on A3 on the far left

I then have the A3 row selected but everytime I press Ctrl+V, it always adds it to A1.

Now, I know here I can just alt+click drag to copy it, but lets say I'm copying a clip from another project, so I need to copy and paste

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2018 0
Contributor ,
Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off A1 & A2 track targeting (the blue squares).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2018 1
Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Yairb" is right. Most of us don't really think of how to use those targeting controls to speed things along ... paying a little attention to them as your projects get more 'dense' is a great use of time ... it will speed things along nicely.

You can even set keyboard shortcuts to toggle specific targets on/off, so you don't even need the mouse to shift where things will "land". In the Keyboard shortcuts dialog (Ctrl/Alt/K) just put "targ" in the search box, the various available shorts that you can select to use will appear.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2018 1
Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

source patching.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Got it!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2018 0
Participant ,
Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PP really really really really needs a paste "feature" that is more intuitive, and more like every other program in existence.

PP should know the intended paste-target of the user either by last-clicked in the timeline or left-side or some left-side checkbox/icon. The UI would the show this target track highlighted or something, then when user pastes, the clip is where the user expects it to be.

Right now, we must untarget all but the target track first? I don't run this program every day, but cannot understand how Adobe engineers arrived at this UX choice.

It really wastes a lot of time for a lot of people, obviously from this and countless other threads. Until PP users finally get fed-up and look up this problem, users are flummoxed by clips always pasting over the worst possible track-choice with no apparent control over whey they paste.

I would have expected better for my $650/year (we all used to pay about $700 every 2-3 years for actual feature updates).

Of course, when this finally get added, Adobe will be sure to promote it as a "new and exciting feature" along with the other list of yawn-triggering bullet-point bug-fixes sold as "features."

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 11, 2019 0
Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 11, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope this helps!

Caroline

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 0