• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does my markers got tagged on the copy and its original clip ?

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a copy of clip in my timeline. Then, I added markers on the copy. And automatically, the markers poped also in the original clip. Why is this happening?

I only experienced this weird behaviour with Markers? I mean, this strange behaviour doesn't happen when I apply effects on a copy of a certain clip ( the original doesn't got modified) .

Is there a way to avoid this  ?

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the metadata settings in your preferences. There's an option to write metadata to your clips on disk and it's probably checked. What happens is that you add a maker to a clip and Premiere actually updates the original file to indicate a marker was placed; that marker would appear in every project the clip was loaded into. Because your duplicate clip is just a copy within Premiere -- and not a separate file on your disk -- the marker appears on both.

Turn off that setting in the prefs and this will resolve it. 

HTH,

JVK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no "metadata"settings in preferences. Maybe you meant the media section in prefereces: there, I unchecked "write clip markers in XMP" , but it doesn't solve the issue and i still have markers on both copies and original clips.

PS: I also unchecked "Enable clip and XMP metadalinking" ... None of that solved my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they've already been added, then no, simply un-checking might not fix something on a timeline. Try dumping all cache files and relaunch the project, that might do it.

And while it should be fixed going forward with new markers ... you may need to go delete the extraneous ones manually for the current sequence.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In my case, working on stuff, when I know I'm gonna change stuff I use 'save' and 'save as' a LOT.

So, in your case you know you're gonna make a copy. Save the project, and 'save as' ... for example, 

film-1, film2-copy with markers.

You use whatever names describe your progress through the project.

It's kinda like a workflow that just works OK depending on what edit program you are using and your computer resources, etc. But organization and separating stuff as project milestones is important no matter what you use as editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines