• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Premiere crash so often?

Enthusiast ,
Jan 09, 2013 Jan 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been a Premiere user for about 8 years now, mostly because of my reticence to have to train on another system. I must say Adobe engineers have been very helpful and willing to assist on every problem I've encountered. A handful of my problems dealt with incompatibilities and failures of the Cineform software, which I have since abandoned. But I don't want to add up the hours of hard work this unreliability has cost me, on the phone with tech support or posting messages like these. It's a large number though, I'm sure.

But if I could make the transition smoothly, I would, frankly. I'm astonished if I manage a single day without Premiere crashing at least four times. This has been true since day one, across multiple machines, on different systems, Mac and PC.

Sigsev, Bad access, kernel panic, Sorry an error occurred, we will attempt to save your current project. These and similar phrases have become my lexicon. I remain a Premiere user solely because there are a handful of features not present on other systems that make my job easier, despite the instability.

Am I just unlucky? Have others had a similar experience?

This post is the effluvium of losing about 2 hours of work because of a crash and a failure of the autosave feature. Premiere is reliable in that it is reliably unreliable, and I hope I'm not waiting for improvement that never comes.

A beach distracts me

The only crash that I hear

Not waves but Premiere.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2015 Jun 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean this?

Faulting application name: Adobe Premiere Pro.exe, version: 8.2.0.65, time stamp: 0x5486db4a

Faulting module name: devenum.dll, version: 6.6.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bded7

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00000000000016a0

Faulting process id: 0x1b98

Faulting application start time: 0x01d0a3135a77a803

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\devenum.dll

Report Id: bfe283e3-0f06-11e5-8387-40a8f05e67d6

Does this mean anything useful?

Thanks

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tom, yes that might be helpful. A quick google search revealed someone else having a similar issue with devenum.dll

Premiere Pro CC 14 Crashing When Importing, Exporting

In his case the solution was to reset the preferences, by deleting them from the documents folder.

Try that and see if it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting from User/xxxx/My Documents/Adobe/Common/PTX did not change the outcome. Given that 'devenum.ddl' seems to be mentioned a few times in various posts I think that may be a more fruitful direction. I don't have admin rights (one of those corporate policy things) so someone has said they will re-install PremierPro. At some time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tom, check your media cache location in the Ppro preferences dialog and delete the files all the same, it may fix your problem.

Every time you import a file, Ppro automatically tries to generate a corresponding waveform preview and playback file, it sounds like it may be choking on existing files in those folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that suggestion. I deleted all files in Adobe/Common/ Cache, AnywhereCache, Media Cache Files then re-imported the footage files into the project. Same result - PremierePro has stopped working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2015 Jul 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm absolutely astonished if it doesn't crash 5 times in one hour, and I'm not exaggerating.  It is so unbelievably unreliable that I'm considering switching away from using Premiere for the last 14 years since I was 14 years old.  I'd rather use an Autodesk product at this point, or Final Cut X... because at least I would be able to get my projects done and not worry about crashes all the time.

Nothing seems to help.  I have the same issues on my new model Mac Pro with D500s as I do on my new model Mac Pro with D700s and 12 cores at the office.

Adobe has let this program go to total garbage compared to CS5 and CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kennon,

You might try installing the update that came out yesterday. It solves a lot of issues.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize if this sounds rude - But, I did install it today...  and it's actually crashing even more often than it was yesterday.  It's very disappointing.  I've had my computer diagnosed by Apple and they said everything is perfectly fine, but that they've had an exponential amount of people bringing their machines in with problems concerning this software lately.  I can literally write an entire list of issues I've encountered.  The only thing I can determine is that Premiere is either extremely buggy or that it hates GH4 footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple may not be expert on Premiere Pro video editing systems.

I'd have it checked out by somebody that is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2015 Jul 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, but regardless - this program has so many random crashes with no indication of what's causing it that it has made editing a nightmare.  Due to so many crashes (countless at this point) I have been working for two days on something that easily could have taken 3 - 4 hours.  I love Premiere but this is really unacceptable...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 29, 2015 Jul 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kennon,

Have you tried working with our support staff yet? Begin a chat here and ask for the "video queue": Contact Customer Care

It's possible you have permissions problems, as described here: Premiere Pro CC, CC 2014, or 2014.1 freezing on startup or crashing while working (Mac OS X 10.9, an...

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 13, 2015 Sep 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a bug involving switching Morph mode from position back to Subwarp when the option selected is Stabilize Only.

After Effects just crashed and quit out as I was reviving a tracker and attempted to apply newly tracked data to a clip.

I am so worn out. Crash crash crash crash crash crash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem too - it's a 1m video of images and an audio track I was exporting at H.264 on a Mac Pro 2015; it used to crash everytime I uploaded a vertical image but after restarting it, it would be okay but I can barely export 15s before a message appears saying 'a serious error has occured'.

I've tried disabling my AutoSave, my cache is empty, my RAM has more than half its 256GB space left, and every other Adobe application on my laptop is working just fine - so what is it with the Premiere Pro CC 2017 update???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same kind of issues during the seven-day free trial, with Premiere Pro crashing for no apparent reason.  The crashes are very frequent, and they have lost me substantial work and effort.  This is not a good impression to give to prospective customers.  I will not be purchasing such an unstable and unreliable product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hgarmany,

The crashes are very frequent, and they have lost me substantial work and effort.  This is not a good impression to give to prospective customers.

That doesn't sound like consistent behavior at all. Can you contact our support reps? Contact Customer Care

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incredibly frustrated. I love the software but I've reliably been getting crashes on a top-spec consumer system (seventh gen I7 and 64GB RAM.) Just lost two hours of work because of a dumb crash. The title creation tool is a nightmare, it feels like 70% of the time I open it it seems to crash out the entire premiere and I can't save my project. I guess the joke is on me for not saving frequently but it feels off that I should have to especially when doing light work.

(Edit, it seems to be consistently repeatable when switching language in the title creation tool so maybe it's just me and my use case)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is repeatable then this should be filed as a bug IMHO. I've been lucky in that I've had no crashes on any of the recent versions with the MacOS. The product has been very stable and I rarely worry about saving my work anymore. However, my work is fairly straightforward. When you post it might be more useful to help by stating the kind of footage you are working on, is it FX heavy, are you using a lot of add ons, etc. and the version of Adobe, Windows and graphics cards. i.e. Win7? Win10? 

The reason is that light duty to you might mean heavy duty to me. I've also found that making sure that when you get an Adobe update, like we have recently, that you check video drivers, and updates on third party software like Boris. FX

I did have a problem with mouse movement causing a crash on my windows machines, and a mouse driver update solved it.

All this is why production environments like I've supported in the past rarely upgrade without significant testing. It seems like I'm routinely crossing my fingers with seeing another update from Adobe, Apple, Microsoft etc. show up. I tend to ignore them until I can check the groups after some weeks have gone by . Bad updates do happen. Things slip through test scenarios in software testing labs at these companies, but not usually. They usually rack test common production scenarios of their known customer base.

Hope this is helpful. My last batch of crashes a few years ago as this thread suggests were related to not enough RAM in the machine. Once I figured it out and upgraded my problems vanished. Hope you have similar luck!  All the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Late post but this software is still woefull in the stability stakes, Adobe has carried this stigma for so very long becasuse there was very little competition to the likes of Photoshop and Premiere Pro but man oh man I discovered Davinci Resolve 16 and will not look back. Phenominal but most of all, stable! Sure I might have to loose some old ways of doing things, but Davinci want the business unlike Adobe sat on piles of cash and shipping rubbish. Adobe, do us all a favour at MAX this year and put some effort into clearing up stability on your leading products huh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to Premiere Pro. You do everything right and still end up having to completely wipe your settings and app data almost periodically. This is just reality with Adobe. I worked with two other editors in the same building for over a year, and crashes, preview or cache errors, or errors during encoding were almost the norm on a weekly basis at least. Adobe should stop inventing new, buggy features and focus on core stability. No wonder so many people are biting the bullet learning node-based effects for *ahemahemDavinciahemResolve*hack*cough* oof sorry. I'm tired of nearly finishing a project late at night and then realizing that I am unable to add a new audio track without freezing this program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In my opinion, if you're serious about video editing, switching softwares will do you little good, there isn't a magical NLE that does everything for you.

In my career, I have worked professionally on Media Composer, Final Cut, Premiere, and Resolve. They all come with their own downsides. As an editor, it's up to you to figure out workarounds and workflows that work best for you and the for the project you're handling.

You'll be mistaken if you think you can just switch softwares and all your problems will disappear.

In the end, just pick one NLE and stick with it, whichever it is. You'll have more understanding of its ups and downs and you'll go far in your career. Switch softwares and you'll have to face a new batch of issues and mishaps.

Just search for "crash" on their forums and see for yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines