• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Premiere have trouble handling images at 300dpi?

Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone tell me why any image at 300dpi has issues in premiere. I get distortion, or it'll jump around during transitions, masks look weird, effects don't work properly. Any ideas? I think it's because of the timeline resolution vs the image's ... I'd love to know the technical reasons behind this.

OSX 10.14.6

This has always happened for me in Premiere. Currently in Premiere 13.1.5 and 14.3 

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the pixel dimensions of the image?

Color mode?

Bits per Chanel?

DPI is only relevent for printing an image, it is not when working in video.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize that DPI shouldn't matter, that's why I asked the question. I have tested all sorts of images at all different sizes, 8bit/16bit, all are RGB, they all work just fine until I make it 300dpi. Or if I take an image that was 300dpi, and make it 72, then it works just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what is going on,  never seen the behavior you describe.  Have 4 jpegs on the timeline now that are 350 dpi and Premiere is working as expected.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the dpi will alter the pixel size of the image and Premiere has a maximum still size of 32,768 pixels in either direction. (2019 version)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible in Photoshop to change the DPI of an image without changing the pixel dimensions. 

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. But what is the point Pr. does not read the dpi.

Stills might be working better just because they have been resaved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, here's a before and after. Why would the one on the right NOT work in Premiere? Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 5.04.47 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You changed them from jpeg to tiff. That is not just changing the dpi.

Tiff will work better then jpeg.

Same idea as wave will work better then mp3: less compressed.

Please post full comp specs and sequence settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the TIFF files are the ones not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, read from left to right as in before and after.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you can post this JPG and TIF, I can test on my systems and see if I can replicate the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All Premiere is interested in is the height and width in pixels.

Preferably same size as sequence or twice for pan and zoom.

psd or png, rgb and 8 bits.

The way Premiere handles stills depends on the gpu and or cpu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my work we use a lot of stills in our videos. We usually run images through photoshop to conform size and maybe do a little color corection. No matter what we start with (jpeg, tiff, png, etc.) we alway output a PSD that is 2500px at the longest side, RBG, 72dpi. Never have any issues. I was testing out a new workflow in Bridge, but it kept outputing everything at 300dpi. In the past, whenever we have tried to use images at 300dpi, things have gone haywire in Premiere. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 1.04.40 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uncheck Composite in Linear Color and test.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not usually on and we still have that issue, thanks for the help! I'll have some of my editors test things on their machines. We usually all use the same model/spec Mac Pros but now with everone working at home, we can test to see if it's a gpu/cpu thing. I'll post the answer when we figure this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for the input! This is a big help, I'm going to test a few things, but I think "The way Premiere handles stills depends on the gpu and or cpu." is probably the issue. Thanks for that one Ann Bens!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines