Why does Premiere Pro inflate file size?

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I'm a complete novice to Adobe and need help exporting a simple low-quality video edit in a reasonable file size.

I ran a webinar using GoTo Webinar and export a file. I have edited this in Premiere Pro but when I go to export it inflates the file size dramatically!

Obviously doing something wrong but Mr Google is not helping with my specific problem.

I need help with selecting the right export settings. All I want to do is upload it to YouTube so it shouldn't be that hard but the vast array of options has defeated me.

I have version 12.1.1 Build 10

The input file was generated automatically by a GoTo Webinar session. It was just voice over powerpoint. Nothing special. Specs of the GoTo video were:

• 106MB
  • MP4 File .mp4
  • 1920x1080
  • Frame rate 7.62 frames/sec
  • Data rate 104kbps
  • Total bitrate 166kpbs
  • Audio bitrate 61kpbs
  • Channels 1 mono
  • Audio sample rate 16.000khz

In the editing, I added some jpeg images and a .mp3 music file about 3.25MB in size.

When I went to export this I tried the following: In File/Export>Media I selected:

• Format H 264
  • Preset: YouTube 1080p HD
  • Under Video, I select the lowest possible framerate = 10
  • Under Bitrate Settings, I chose Bitrate Encoding of VBR 1 Pass

The Estimated file size now says 6720MB !!

After googling I set the Bitrate Settings > Target Bitrate to 1 which was not recommended but I'm desperate to get the file size down as I dont have a great internet connection! This reduced output file size to 543MB. I manged to upload this to YouTube but it took me 4 hours, during which time, I could barely use my internet....

What I cant get my head around is why Premiere Pro seems to have inflated the file size so much despite the fact that I actually reduced the length of the video during editing. I don't need a really high-quality output! It just voice over powerpoint.

Can anyone explain to me what is going on and recommend some better export settings?

Your help is much appreciated.

Tim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

1 Correct Answer

Enthusiast , Jul 23, 2018
juanmario Enthusiast , Jul 23, 2018
In the Export Settings window, go to the video tab and look for the Target Bitrate control, set 5 Mbps, I do not recommend less than that, but you can try with lower values if you do not need quality.If it helps you, I'll give you a link to the recommended Youtube settings:Recommended upload encoding settings - YouTube Help

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
Enthusiast ,
Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because your source file has:

Total bitrate 166kpbs

Are you sure it's that bit rate?

And the Preset::

YouTube 1080p HD has 16000kpbs

Therefore, the output file will be larger

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TimK Downunder,

Did JuanMario's response help you solve this issue? Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspected it might be something like that. But how do I change the output file to have a smaller bit rate, comparable to the input file?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Export Settings window, go to the video tab and look for the Target Bitrate control, set 5 Mbps, I do not recommend less than that, but you can try with lower values if you do not need quality.

If it helps you, I'll give you a link to the recommended Youtube settings:

Recommended upload encoding settings - YouTube Help

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such answers, while technically sound, seem to me to miss the point. People (including me) who have some idea what they're doing take an MP4, make a trivial change (in this case removing a 2 second glitch), output it with a standard setting (say H.264 high bitrate) and KABOOM turn a 200 meg file into a 5 gig file. Or we follow this kind of advice and, by pushing the bitrate so far down that it gets blurry, generate a file that's bigger but not absurdly so. But how do you make PP just output it the same way it came in at essentially the same size? Other less sophisticated conversion apps don't turn molehills into mountains. Why would PP do it by default, and baffle reasonably alert users into the process? Is there not something obvious we're missing that would avoid the issue instead of kluging it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines