• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Unsharp Mask add 500-1000% time to the export process?

Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I almost never use unsharp mask because it adds a ridiculous amount of time to my exports.  The same computer sharpening with multiple different sharpening nodes in Davinci Resolve barely ads ANY time to the export let alone exponentially increasing the time to export 2-4 degrees.  I'm at about 10 minutes for a 30 second clip with Unsharp Mask and about 30 seconds for the same clip without Unsharp Mask.  Crazy.

Computer:

Core i7 8700k, 32GB Ram, Windows 10 x64, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Unsharp mask in PP is not gpu-accelerated, it's a 'CPU-effect'. What even worse - it's single threaded. Also, you may add this bug to the mix: Order of filters/effects and drop in CUDA-rend... - Adobe Support Community - 10510537

Hence your got the "speed".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a long time but it does take a lot of processing for that effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unsharp mask in PP is not gpu-accelerated, it's a 'CPU-effect'. What even worse - it's single threaded. Also, you may add this bug to the mix: Order of filters/effects and drop in CUDA-rend... - Adobe Support Community - 10510537

Hence your got the "speed".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Damn - I thought for sure UM was GPU accelerated.  That seems like an oversight to not make a very taxing process gpu accelerated.  Anyways - just tested it.  Against my better judgement I sharpened before my other adjustment layers and export went from 4:54 for my clip to 1:43.   Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines