Exit

Why is my export file so large?

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, friends,

First time poster.

I've read a few different forums where Premiere Pro users have tried to figure out why their export files are so large.  I'm often able to solve problems by researching them on my own.  However, I'm still totally mystified on this one.

No matter what compression settings I use, I get ENORMOUS files (even at a bitrate of 5).  This morning I encoded a c35-minute video, and the estimated file size was 1418MB (see below).  It took over two hours to encode and the resulting file was 1.39 GB. I suppose I will have to reduce it in Handbrake before I can send it to anyone.

What am I doing wrong????

Thank you!!!!

- Lucas

Premiere Pro screenshot.png

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when if you try H.264 and VBR, 1 pass?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is your end use?  If it's youtube, have you tried the appropriate youtube preset?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Filesize = bitrate x duration.

So lower the bitrate or choose a different format.

The reason it took so long:

You are encoding from 59,94 to 30 frames,

Using software encoding and Frame Blending.

Is original footage also H.265?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Ann.

Would it be normal to put the bitrate even lower than 5?  At what point is there a really noticeable chance in quality?

Yes, I changed the frames hoping it would reduce the file size.  Bad idea?

I had also read that H.265 was more compressed & better quality than H.264.  Would it be better to stay with what the original footage was?  Most of it was from my DSLR.

If you could suggest any settings I should try I'd be grateful.

I'm still confused as to why the files I'm getting are MANY TIMES larger than the estimate in the export panel, no matter what settings I've tried.

Thanks again,

Lucas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

1418 MB seems close to 1.39GB no?

Just set in and out points on your sequence, maybe 1 minute in length. Then export (in to out) at various bit rates to see what looks satisfactory to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines