• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is premiere pro cropping my video?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro is importing my videos at full size and then cropping them once I've put them in the sequence? What's going on? How can I fix it?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Your sequence size does not match your clips, Select a clip in the project panel and right click 'New Sequence from Clip' this will make a sequence the correct size.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to find a solution this issue online so any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your sequence size does not match your clips, Select a clip in the project panel and right click 'New Sequence from Clip' this will make a sequence the correct size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No such option exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2023 Jul 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cant right click on MacBook 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2023 Jul 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Drag the clip to the new item icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't seem to be working, it just reroutes me to my media browser but doesn't open anything new or fix the clip?

Sorry, I'm used to Final Cut and literally have just started to use this system (which I have found is so much better so far).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what you should get when you right click a video file in the project panel:

New sequence from clip.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah okay, thanks so much!

So the ones I already dragged and dropped into a previous sequence and cut up - is there no hope of transferring those to the new sequence so I don't have to re-cut them all again? (200 clips in before I noticed it was cropped - FML)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two options, in your faulty project go to Sequence/Sequence Settings and change the settings to match the correct sequence, or copy and paste your clips from the earlier sequence to the correct one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2019 Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning!

Could you please walk me through what to click on in "sequence/sequence settings" to get my full view back?

Thank you!

Julie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For all 209 of my  incidentally "cropped clips"?

Julie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@juliem555 wrote:

Good morning!

Could you please walk me through what to click on in "sequence/sequence settings" to get my full view back?

Thank you!

Julie

I habe exCt same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Preferences is an option for scaling ... most users will want the scaling preference set to "scale to frame size". Changing this means that after that moment, any new clips moved to a timeline will be scaled but without "rasterizing" ... without being rendered to that size. So you can resize without losing image quality.

For clips already on a timeline, you can select one or more, right-click then set scaling to set to frame-size.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On June 2, 2023, these directions EXACTLY fixed my problem! Thank you! I could tell a dance sequence that where the frame was pulled in too tight was wrong and showed the entire couple dancing with lots of room to spare in real life. This solution made the frame as I saw when I shot it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not even remotely accurate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What isn't accurate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

literally have just started to use this system

Learn Premiere Pro, get help and support | Adobe Premiere Pro CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, last question. Thank you so much for your help!

So it seems that one set of my footage (all on the same camera taken with the same settings on my GH4 in 4K so it's really weird) has imported into 1080 x 1920 while the other footage has the settings I want as 4096 x 2160...

What have I done wrong here? I tried creating a new sequence from both clips and got two different settings -- when I combine, the smaller one just displays in a small square in the middle of the frame. I don't understand how I could have done this as I imported them all together.

If I can't fix the import size on the smaller files, is there a way to compress the other larger files without losing part of my frame? I hope I haven't ruined any footage...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you right click the smaller clips in the timeline there is a good chance one of these options has been checked, un-tick them both. That should make the 4k the right size again.

Frame size.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

61 other people still have this question?

Note that you must be extremely careful with the following setting:

If you are a beginner, DO NOT USE "SCALE TO FRAME SIZE," either as a default preference, or on the timeline.

It does a very specific thing that is useful in very specific circumstances. If you don't know how to use it, you'll have endless problems with footage that is too small or too large, and in all cases looks like a pixely blurry mess.

Really get to know exactly what this setting does before you attempt to use it. Note that "set to frame size" is pretty safe, and THAT's the one that changes the "Scale" variable in the Effect Controls panel. "Scale to frame size" does not. It's very poorly named. If that makes no sense to you, then you definitely should not be using Scale to frame size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2019 Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeap this used to frustrate me big time, when i first used Premiere. When i needed to scale my things evenly to the screen and found out both aforementioned functions work, i just couldn't know which is right to choose. So i picked one and suffered for it's side effects later, haha.

I realise as the kind of person who learns while doing, i easily get stuck a lot when encountering new things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JulieM,

The problem is perhaps a couple things. First, you may have an improper sequence framesize for your media. This is very common for new Premiere users especially coming from other NLEs. Normally the best method to get an appropriate sequence setting is to simply drop a clip onto the New Item icon or a blank timeline panel, or right-clicking a clip in the bin and selecting "New sequence from clip".

Once you already have a sequence though, if most/all of your clips are X framesize, but the sequence is a different framesize ... click on the sequence in the Timeline panel, then from the main menu select Sequence Settings and change the framesize.

The other situation is if you have clips that are of a different size than your sequence, and you don't have the preference options set to "Set to framesize" ... as shown in the image below.

Scale-To_Set-To Preferences Option.PNG

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back to me Neal.

I am in the Sequence Settings panel and the line that has Video, frame size, horizontal, vertical 16.9 won't let me make any changes.

Any thoughts?

Julie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JulieM,

Yea ... at the very top, change the drop-down list for the preset from whatever it is to "Custom".

Then you can go into the sequence settings and change things. In this pic, it's the top line ... "Arri Cinema". See the drop-down arrow on the far right? That means there are more options if you click on that line. Click on whatever is in the "Editing Mode" line, then scroll to the top and select "Custom".

Sequence Settings.PNG

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines