• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is text getting "cut off" in Essential Graphics, no matter what I do?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

issue.JPG

I've found that any time I create a text box in the essential graphics panel, my text keeps getting cutting off, as you can see here. I don't have any masks involved or anything like that, and I'm assuming this is a glitch rather than a feature. This has happened across multiple projects multiple times. Anyone have a solution/workaround for this? Is Adobe aware of the issue? This is really making my job difficult.

For reference, I'm running the lastest version of Premiere Pro CC on the lastest version of Windows 10 (1709). My hardware is a 2017 Surface Book 2, and I'm running on an i7-8650U, 16GB RAM, and a NVidia GTX 1060, so this isn't a power issue.

Here are my sequence settings as well--although this is happening across multiple sequence types. Thanks in advance for your help.

issue2.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Interesting! It looks like I solved the issue. The anchor points were part of the issue, but apparently not the only component. Here's how I fixed it:

--Dragged the questionable graphic to the timeline and expanded the text and shape so both were getting cut off (apparently it was affecting other elements in the graphic as well.

--Reset all anchor points to their default position of 960,540 (the master anchor point was there, but the text and box surrounding it were not.) This ended up pushing bot

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, what I can see is you've got a graphic over a color matte, with animation on the graphic. Not particularly anything there that should be causing the cut-off ... but curious. If you try this over a general video clip rather than matte, with a new line, what happens?

What happens if rather than defining a box, you just click a spot, start typing, and use the Enter key to create new lines? And use the text controls for center, alignment & such to set positions?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I'm aware, it doesn't matter what the background is. I've tried layering it it over a video, still, or no background, and it would still get cut off.

At least in this instance, deleting this text box and clicking on the screen and starting to type did nothing to fix the issue. The alignment buttons, when clicked, move the entire text box, and sometimes will reveal the missing text. For example, if I were to select the text box and click left-align, the whole text box would shift to left so that part of it is off-screen, and the text that is currently invisible would become visible, because it is on the left portion of the screen. It's almost like there's an invisible, uneditable mask that starts in the middle of the screen.

I should note that there have been times I haven't run into this issue, and everything works properly. I just created a new graphic that does not have the issue. I thought that it might have something to do with Creative Cloud for a while, because I noticed the issue happening when I attempted to use a graphic I had created, exported to my essential graphics library, and re-downloaded, but I just attempted to replicate the issue by repeating those steps, and everything was fine.

So, it could just be an issue with certain graphics I've created, perhaps. The example I posted earlier was me modifying a graphic that has the issue, and not an entirely new graphic. But I'm still not sure what's causing the issue in this instance. Is it a limitation with Premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the problem is coming in modifying the graphic that has the issue.

You were aware, I take it, that the anchor positioning of that text box you showed in your post was actually way off to the right, and animated into the screen somehow?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting! It looks like I solved the issue. The anchor points were part of the issue, but apparently not the only component. Here's how I fixed it:

--Dragged the questionable graphic to the timeline and expanded the text and shape so both were getting cut off (apparently it was affecting other elements in the graphic as well.

--Reset all anchor points to their default position of 960,540 (the master anchor point was there, but the text and box surrounding it were not.) This ended up pushing bot the text and the shape off screen, so I edited the position parameters on each individual element to bring them back to where I want them. They were still getting cut off on the right side.

--I noticed that everything was scaled oddly--the graphic itself was scaled to 50, but individual elements were scaled to 200! So I reset everything to 100. This made everything super big and moved the elements partially offscreen again.

--I then reset the default positions at a graphic-wide level and an element level, to 960/540, which put everything in the top left corner. The text was hanging off screen.

--When I attempted to bring down the whole graphic at once with the master graphic, the text was still being cut off, so instead of adjusting position at a graphic level, I undid my last action and positioned elements where I wanted them at an element level.

Lo and behold! Everything was where it belonged! (I swear, I wasn't inebriated when I designed the graphic...)

TLDR/TIL: The issue was that I had moved the "frame" in which graphics are visible--which, by default, is apparently only as big as the frame of the background--and was attempting to move individual elements like text and shapes outside of that frame, which led to portions of each element getting cut off. This could have been avoided if I had adjusted the position of individual elements first, instead of accidentally adjusting what looked like all the elements at once, but was actually the frame.

Thanks for your help, apologies for my ignorance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are parts of this that aren't exactly ... obvious ... and wow, can we get ourselves in trouble big-time when not realizing this control here actually also does this to that there when the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter ​doesn't​ align with Mars ...

Glad you got it sorted out!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 11, 2019 Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was having the same issue. And, as you reference above, it had something to do with trying to adjust position at the graphic level, rather than individually as elements. As soon as I deleted the keyframes at the graphic level, everything popped into view. Not as convenient as animating all levels simultaneously but at least I now understand what's going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is driving me absolutely insane. all i want to do is type a damn paragraph in premiere and then reize properly. I am having the exact same issue and tried your work around and doesnt seem to work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give the details of the steps you've taken. Are you trying to resize the entire graphic, just the paragraph, the text/font size, what? And how?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have just found a easy solution to this problem. you want to go to the effect controls then go to vector motion and change the scaling,  i am extremely new to premiere so im not sure if this a solution or not but the resizing seemed to dissapear for me

C51nge5C5D_0-1600308945034.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much! this worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a lifesaver...thank you!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

it helped me bro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When modifying text (scale-rotation etc) you have to use the transform that is a subsection of the "text" in the effects control panel. If you use the standard "video" section to accomplish transforms, things get clipped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

an easy solution I found, is to change the font! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution I found was to delete everything under that potion of the timeline and start over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS IS ALL THAT NEEDED TO BE SAID. Thanks much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't have time to read through all these paragraphs for the answer so I found it on YouTube, all you have to do is go to the effect controls, then under {video} motion, drag that to the edge of where you are closest to where it begins to cut off then go to the top {graphics} motion and move it around until it doesn't cut off. Done. 

Basically, the lower motion control is for the whole frame which you want to set to a large area or the whole frame to avoid this issue. The top <motion> control is for the visible text or graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This helped me, thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines