• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is there this Choppy Video Playback & Crackling Sound While Playing In Timeline

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay so before I start let me tell you my pc specs:

• 6Th generation intel core i7-6700hq 3.5 GHz quad-core processor
  • Nvidia GTX 960m
  • 16Gb ddr3l 1600mhz included; 16gb maximum
  • 1Tb HHD storage; no optical drive included
  • 15.6-Inch 4K UHD 3840x2160 Touchscreen Display
  • Windows 10 operating system; black

Okay so now that is out the way here is my problem, first of all, this never happened before and I have been using this since last year I just updated to premiere pro cc 2018 to see if that would fix the issue but it still didn't. Okay now seriously here is the problem. Whenever I try to play footage within the timeline I get the cracking popping audio feedback and also the frames are cutting and skipping which makes it impossible to edit. I thought it was the 4k video so I imported a 360p video file and I still had the same issue. On the bright side whenever I export the file it plays back smoothly without any errors but its just impossible to edit with frames dropping and the annoying popping/cracking-out-of-sync audio playback I am getting. If anyone could help me please let me know. My twitter is @Its_shevi if you want to reach me and I could show video footage and all that. Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

OK so I got it fixed. If you change the audio hardware to MME in place of ASIO that might fix it. That's what I dod and now it's working.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem as well, and when I went into Preferences, Audio Hardware and set the Default Input to "No Input", the problem went away. Give that a try and see if it cures it for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Thank you! Not only was it driving me crazy, I'm sure it was going to damage the speakers on my new computer if it persisted.

Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked perfectly. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed it the issue for me. I have an external sound card plugged in. Changed the default input to the computer Mic and then No Input, both fixed the issue. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes great reply! worked for me for the time being but will soon be needing an mic input for voiceover. Hopefully thihs solves it 100% !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed the issue for me.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK so I got it fixed. If you change the audio hardware to MME in place of ASIO that might fix it. That's what I dod and now it's working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2018 Jun 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem started some time in the last month and found a workaround that reduces the audio crackling and popping: In Preferences > Audio Hardware: I doubled the audio latency (I usually have it set at 60). At 120 I am no longer getting the crackles and pops. Worth a try if you're having a similar problem.

Playback however, is still ABSOLUTE GARBAGE in cc2018 and has been since it came out. 1080p plays back at 2fps at 1/4 quality and 4k is but a dream. On a maxed out VR laptop too so that issue's all on Adobe.  Sadly can't rely on Premiere for pro work any more.  However I've become VERY skilled at editing whole videos looking at the audio waves only and rendering every time I want to see how it looks! Adobe lols

I'll update this thread if I find a proper fix for the audio, or any improvements on playback issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updating my original post as there has been some (very small) progress in playback. Completely reinstalling and graphics driver AND clearing every cache file I could finds strewn about Adobes file structures helped. I can now playback most of the time at a blazing 1/4 resolution (jeez Premiere, really?!) so long as I have no more than 2 video tracks and no Lumetri effects applied.

The issue: I found nearly 70GB of cache files in total, despite me setting Adobe to clear anything in excess of 15gb and manually clearing unused cache daily.

So a little workaround for 1 problem, caused by another 1. Adobe lols continue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this exact issue as well.

Windows 10

Skylake i7-6700HQ

32GB DDR4 RAM

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5

My audio interface is a USB Focusrite Scarlette 2x2

On the time line I have only 2 video tracks (one with 1080 video, the other is an adjustment layer with some basic Lumetri color correction). I have 6 tracks of audio, but only 2 or 3 with content playing simultaneously.

This should be a piece of cake.

I've tried restarting.

Checked and confirmed audio hardware settings is set to ASIO driver, buffer: 512, sample rate: 48KHz

Confirmed Audition is set to same.

Checked cache and it's fine

Plenty of room in cache drives (SSD 850 EVO M.2)

Any ideas?

I've been editing this project for several weeks and everything was fine. Now suddenly this problem.

It is literally preventing me from working. It's so bad I can't edit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2019 Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you able to fix the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 28, 2019 Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I somehow solved the problem. I didn't approach it very methodically, so I can't know for sure what fixed it, but I'm pretty sure it had to do with either one or any combination of the below:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've tried everything I've found in the forums:

Permanent Solution for me:

1) Edit>Preferences>Audio Hardware>Latency--Select 60 (I had mine at 50, apparently the higher the latency the more stable playback/editing; every system is different, select the lowest stable value). Fixed it immediately, tested 50 vs 60 repeatedly and it was obviously the problem.

Temporary Solutions for me (try these if above doesn't work):

1) Edit>Preferences>Audio Hardware>Default Input--Select "No Input"

2) Updating my gpu drivers (GTX 1080)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines